BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4201 - 4210 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: Anyone "train" for hiking?
I have found that the best training for hiking is hiking. Luckily I can get to a trail within minutes of my house. Everything else just does not do it. Distance running helps for building your ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone "train" for hiking?
September 15, 7:30pm

Re: If you were hiking 1,000 miles in a summer...
The limiting factor is supply points for food and fuel. Maybe water in some areas. Also, will specialized gear be needed in certain areas. Really it is just a whole bunch overnight hikes laid en...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » If you were hiking 1,000 miles in a summer...
September 15, 2:49pm

Re: Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
Aha! The "what is best" conversation. So what should a pack do? - Carry & protect our gear. - Allow us to access our gear in an effective, efficient, and functional manner. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 15, 2:42pm

Re: Re: Re: "BPL RANK"
I would add a Saruman Staff. Keep everything else. Do you have a shelter for your pet Hobbit?

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL RANK
September 15, 1:04am

Re: Creating good Karma!
Good job, Jay. It is sad how our society has changed in such a short time. In the 60's and early 70's I hitch-hiked everywhere. As a kid, every summer day I would hitch-hike to the beach...

In Chaff » Creating good Karma!
September 15, 12:48am

Re: Re: Re: Blood Pressure
If you have "love handles" or cannot see your belt buckle, then it might be body fat.

In Other Activities » Blood Pressure
September 14, 2:16pm

Re: Blood Pressure
Tom, I am not a doctor and have no training at all regarding nutrition and exercise. But common sense prevails most of the time anyway. The good news is that a doctor will probably tell you t...

In Other Activities » Blood Pressure
September 14, 11:36am

Re: Plus one on nick's comments
Thomas, "Truth is, I find that my Vibram kso treks fulfill all the criteria mentioned." I have a pair of KSO and really like them too. I mostly run in them, and even on gravel roads...

In GEAR » Maximized walking/hikinbg shoe design
September 13, 8:19pm

Re: Re: Re: Comfort and Fit
Travis, I am thinking about getting rid of everything except the Murmur. Depending upon how things go with the LBP, that could possibly go too. Often trips with my Murmur are around 4lbs base we...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1B: Theory and Technology
September 13, 8:06pm

Re: Comfort and Fit
Most of us hike "light." But not always. I hike mostly in deserts. Sure base weight is usually well under 7 lbs, and often under 5 lbs. But water often moves total pack weight to well ove...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1B: Theory and Technology
September 13, 1:30am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am