Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 421 - 430 of 435 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Forum » Thread

Thanks
Thanks for the information Mike. It did clarify those items. Does anyone use the Frisbee to play with. We're from So. Calif. so we must all be accomplished Frisbee tossers.

In Philmont » Backpacking Light @ Philmont
May 24, 1:40pm

Turkey Bags
We plan on cooking in some sort of bag this year. My question is how large of a bag you use. Are you putting the whole crews food in one bag (12 meals) or are you splitting this up in some way say...

In Philmont » Backpacking Light @ Philmont
May 23, 10:40am

1lb Canister
I was thinking of using the medium size canister for our crew. I think they are 8 oz. net gas. That way we can spread them out through the troop. The 16 oz. canisters are a bit bulky for me. The...

In Philmont » CANISTERS VS WHITE GAS
May 21, 4:43pm

Thanks. Good info.
Hey everybody, thanks for the good info. I think for our troop, we will be taking canisters now. We have a lot of experience with them and can share the load. I was mainly concerned with the weight...

May 20, 11:27am

Canisters vs White Gas
Our Troop 395 from La Canada CA is going to Philmont July/Aug this year. Trek 23. I was almost certain we were going to use white gas stoves since it is plentiful and we would not have to carry out...

May 19, 2:55pm

Base Weight
I just put together a pack for our 12 day trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. They have a way to do things, such as dedicated sleeping clothing, no tarps, no soda can stoves, etc. That inc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Base Weight poll...
May 05, 6:19pm

Too Much
One problem I have is I like to hike new areas. That means I have to rely on maps showing water. They are not always reliable from season to season. I really hate tanking up with 2+ liters and the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Water and Tanking Up
May 05, 5:50pm

Barefoot Ted
I have seen Barefoot Ted in action. Last year I was hiking in the Angeles Forest with my dog on a usually quiet trail. I then had to move over for a few guys running downhill, then some more, and m...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is going barefoot healthier?
May 05, 5:37pm

Packing out trash
Will wrote: "Our packs are sometimes heavier on the trip out, with trash we have picked up. We can tell some amazing stories of people's adventures and misadventures in the wilderness!&quo...

In Editor's Roundtable » Fire and Ultralight, a US Forest Service Recon
April 29, 5:47pm

I use both
I use AquaMira when I can sit down and time is not critical. If I am out of water or treating water for later on the trail, just popping in a MicroPur is the way to go! MicroPur is too expensive fo...

In GEAR » Purogene: Possible Aqua Mira Replacement?
January 11, 10:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm