Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 421 - 430 of 713 | Page: 1 ...34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ...72

Forum » Thread

Re: reading
The softshell article in the above link should be required reading for anyone doing winter activities. The reason I said earlier that nothing in my 3 season line-up is used in Winter is because an...

In Gear Lists » synthetic mid-layer and other dilemmas
July 12, 2:14pm

Re: wow...
"The R1 still feels like just another base layer, and don't see how it "pulls its weight" in terms of layering." The R1 is my winter baselayer. Most things I use for 3 s...

In Gear Lists » synthetic mid-layer and other dilemmas
July 12, 12:14pm

Re: Moving to Denver
I live in Castle Rock. It's a suburb south of Denver within 15 minutes of Centennial. There are some good trail running options nearby in Castlewood Canyon State Park. Castle Rock actually h...

In Chaff » Moving to Denver
July 10, 2:24pm

Re: Cap2 v nano
I recently went through a similar question between Nano and R2 Fleece. Bottom line is Nano is quite warm and more importantly, doesn't breath. Nano to a Cap2 is quite a drop off so not sure y...

In GEAR » Patagonia Cap 2 vs. Nano Puff
July 10, 2:52am

Re: Steripen dilemna
A thread that discussed your exact dilemna including your same destination,

In GEAR » Steripen dilemna
July 08, 9:46pm

Re: PT advice
I have pronation issues as well and use Green Superfeet inside my La Sportiva Wildcat trail runners. The combination of stiffer soles and the arch support are perfect. I think minimalist shoes i...

In GEAR » Trailrunners cause knee problems?
July 01, 5:01pm

Re: Another Data Point for Those Considering SPOT (vs PLB)
Good report. Conclusion SPOT = Send I am OK and tracking messages to family/friends. PLB = When life saving response is required

In GEAR » Another Data Point for Those Considering SPOT (vs PLB)
June 27, 4:39pm

FA Sirocco
I love Patagonia products and own a bunch of them, but you can't beat the First Ascent Sirocco wind shirt on sale now for $24.99. I own one and have used extensively. One of my favorite piece...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt/Jacket
June 27, 3:17pm

Re: New book questions modern hydration advice
Drink when you are thirsty.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » New book questions modern hydration advice
June 25, 9:03am

Re: Looked at the Flash 18
I own the Flash 18 but honestly you don't need the hip belt if you are carrying the light loads it's intended for. I cut my hip belt off it. Completely unnecessary on that pack.

In GEAR » Daypack recommendations
June 15, 9:03pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm