BPL Community Profile

Greg Mihalik (greg23) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me Hiker, biker, skier.
greg at smgm dot org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Greg Mihalik

Showing 4171 - 4180 of 5135 | Page: 1 ...409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 ...514

Forum » Thread

Re: Houdini equivalent in pants?
The Montbell wind pants do the job. Very wind resistant. Shed water well for about an hour. Mosquito-proof. If you expect to be warm while wet you need a base layer underneath. 2.5 ounces for a ...

In GEAR » Houdini equivalent in pants?
August 30, 7:49am

Re: Re: 150 calories per ounce/28 oz per day
"A 1/2 cup of Dry Ensure is 250 calories and weighs 2.23 ounces" My sharp-eyed wife notes that a Harvest PowerBar with 250 calories weighs 2.3 ounces. I don't know about a stead...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 150 calories per ounce/28 oz per day
August 29, 7:34pm

Re: 150 calories per ounce/28 oz per day
It's difficult to hit 150/ounce without doing a lot of fats, which many people don't handle well. Chips and the Chex mixes are around 140-150, but get boring after a while. How many hou...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 150 calories per ounce/28 oz per day
August 29, 4:13pm

Re: Swamp Wading
Keith, You don't have your PM set up yet, so I'll just post. Find John McPhee's book on The Pine Barrens. It should be in a local library. It is wonderful reading, and has some gre...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Swamp Wading
August 29, 11:56am

Re: Heavy
BPL sells this one and a No-see-em version. 0.4 and 0.7 ounces respectively. I used it on the JMT and it save my life and the lives of those around me. Don't leave home without one....

In GEAR » Mosiquito Headnet
August 29, 8:50am

Re: RE: "Inner Fabric Tent -DuoMid"
Hot-Cutting with a pencil-tip soldering iron will also help minimize fraying. If you are looking at a lot of MYOG projects it is a worthwhile investment.

In Make Your Own Gear » Inner Fabric Tent -DuoMid
August 29, 8:32am

Re: Rite in Rain notebook
I buy the 4 5/8 x 7 1/4 RitR spiral pad, take it apart, and cut the pages in half. I then use one "mini-page" per trip, aggregating all notes in one place. I typically use one side fo...

In GEAR » Is This a Joke?
August 29, 7:59am

Re: reality vs internet
Perhaps in the other circles you frequent, but, I think, not so much here.

In Gear Lists » Things Noone Else Packs?
August 28, 10:12pm

Re: The Colin Fletcher Easy Chair
Just a small nit to pick: "He was the first person to hike the entire length of Grand Canyon National Park..." He was the first person to write a book about hiking through the Grand...

In GEAR » The Colin Fletcher Easy Chair
August 28, 6:01pm

Re: Pens?...and papers
"What about waterproof map paper?" Well, I just wrote some notes on a Trails Illustrated map with a #2 pencil. Its not as permanent as RitR paper but it would survive. Not all WP m...

In GEAR » Pens?
August 28, 4:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Greg Mihalik

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Therm-a-Rest Neoair
This rating reflects use below 40° F. For summer use it could go much higher. I have wanted to try the Therm-A-Rest Neoair (72"), hoping it would be both light and warm. I've been thr...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 18, 10:35am

Petzl e+LITE
Just to get my experience into this thread here is a ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
December 02, 7:00pm

Alpkit CarbonLite
Poor packing on my part resulted in a TD 12-10 stove getting a little squashed. I straightened it out as best possible and continued to use it for 8 more days, with no discernable loss of functionali...

In Trekking Poles
June 09, 6:23pm