Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4151 - 4160 of 8620 | Page: 1 ...407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ...862

Forum » Thread

Re: Thanks
Ha! I think people are a little pessimistic. October can be good. Helps if you can time your trip to a good weather report period. At least the crowds and mosquitoes will be gone. My favorite ...

In GEAR » Olympic NP in late October - Advice?
July 03, 2:29pm

Re: the science books are wrong
"convection does not cause heat loss..." Convection can disrupt the boundary layer of air on the outside of your sleeping bag which adds about 10 degrees of temperature. Convection ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation
July 03, 1:32pm

Re: Change the subject
No one is taking your guns away. This whole issue is a distraction so you won't notice that they are slowly eroding the educational system and other things. And a psychological program to...

In On the Web » Headline: "Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths?"
June 27, 9:02am

Re: Re: A midlife crisis can be a good thing
Good luck, yayyy Maybe you should do the AT, PCT, JMT or something

In Philosophy & Technique » lifestyle choices
June 27, 8:20am

Re: Re: Step,henson tents
Those IR measurement devices are pretty cheap. Cooking stores. Harbour Freight had one for $40 or something. I've thought about getting one. All I really care about is how warm I am. It ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation
June 27, 8:17am

Re: Re:Americans.
Maybe talk about abortion or gay marriage instead?

In On the Web » Headline: "Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths?"
June 27, 8:03am

Stephenson tents
For Stephenson tents, they say regularly they have double wall with outside of inner wall aluminized. That makes sense given my measurements. There's an air gap above the inner aluminized s...

June 26, 10:39pm

Re: Re: More than Radiation is going on.
I'm not a physicist. Just trying to figure out how to stay warm with the minimum weight. And get some measurements rather than anecdotal information. I think some of you know more about all ...

June 26, 10:07pm

Re: IR-reflectivity reduces condensation
"I've read it claimed a few times that a radiant barrier such as aluminized fabric can actually fight condensation forming on shelter walls, because the IR reflectively causes the fabric i...

June 26, 8:47pm

Re: Bic vs. firesteel
I've always considered fire to be recreation, not survival If the conditions are bad, like raining and windy, it's very difficult to get a fire going, and if you can manage to keep the f...

In GEAR » Missing "essential" items: backup light, whistle, and fire starter
June 26, 6:23pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.