BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4151 - 4160 of 7296 | Page: 1 ...407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ...730

Forum » Thread

Re: Hand sewn projects for beginners?
I just noticed this at thru-hiker - use machine needle for hand sewing: http://thru-hiker.com/articles/repairing_gear_on_trail.php You could make a hat or gloves out of fleece - not too much ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Hand sewn projects for beginners?
October 08, 2:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSNBC
I've worked at a number of companies that hired a bunch of engineers and physicists and technicians and... You pretty much have to have a PHD, BS, or 2 year degree to get hired. And people I&...

In Chaff » Romney/Ryan 2012
October 08, 2:25pm

Re: Adventurer Opti fail
If you use Steripen, make sure and bring spare, unused batteries. Use brand name, non-rechargeable batteries. I've had same experience with less use and less time between uses

In GEAR » Updated Steripens?
October 08, 1:05pm

Re: Re
I've tried Esbit stoves. They get bottom of pot dirty with some weird chemically stuff I remember backpacking with someone. They had canister stove. It took forever to get water boiled ...

In GEAR » The New "Worlds lightest cannister stove"?
October 08, 10:34am

Re: Re: Re: MSNBC
I agree we have to stop deficit: Get rid of the tax cuts that were never paid for - especially lower tax for capital gain Stop the two wars. It worries me that liberals say we should spend t...

October 08, 9:53am

Re: Birthday candle
I like the simplicity of a birthday candle, but there's not a big enough wick, so not enough flame And if you're trying to get wet wood to burn, it helps to have a little more wax so it ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your firestarter of choice?
October 08, 9:39am

Re: MSNBC
But the point of the charts is that the super wealthy and big corporations aren't paying their fair share. It's not that we should punish people for being wealthy or that we're envio...

October 08, 9:07am

Re: Re: Re: so what
Good point James, not always possible to get definitive answer

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 07, 11:27pm

Re: dyeing clothing w/ vegetables?
I accidentally stained some nylon with tea Then, I wanted to darken some light colored nylon so I tried tea. It worked for a while, but then it washed out after a few washings, still slightly s...

In Chaff » dyeing clothing w/ vegetables?
October 07, 8:48pm

Re: so what
There are 5 points in the plot that show the same relationship The difference between 0.28 and 0.21 is 33% or 25% depending on which you make the numerator/denominator. So the weight of down in...

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 07, 7:56pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.