BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4151 - 4160 of 7111 | Page: 1 ...407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ...712

Forum » Thread

Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Tips
(4) If you think it might get cold enough for the filter to freeze (which happens on at least half my trips - what good is a filter that can't tolerate being frozen : ): Shake the filter out...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Filter Tips
September 12, 9:30am

Re: re: hi-loft fleece
Thanks David They said high loft fleece is at least 20% warmer per weight than standard fleece. And that's what I hate about specs for warmth - impossible to compare So, high loft fleece...

In GEAR » 20 degree wet weather clothing, again?
September 12, 9:07am

Re: Sizes of bacteria & protista
Roger seems to be in a pattern of spending our summer in the Northern hemisphere and our winter in the Southern hemisphere Nice Roger!

In Editor's Roundtable » A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 2
September 12, 8:44am

Re: fleece
I agree Dale on secondary factors favoring fleece - doesn't matter if it rips, good if you just want a little warmth while exercising,... I'm not so sure about being better if wet, but m...

September 11, 9:16pm

Re: MYOG: Supplex Pants
I wear my shorts all the time. Two pairs for several years. The stitching attaching the pockets has ripped out a little but I just re-sewed it. The stitching at the bottom hem of the shorts wear...

In Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Supplex Pants
September 11, 8:54pm

Re: re: insulation
David - I've never seen any other data on fleece warmth which is one reason I measured it. I'de be interested in seeing it. regular 200 wt fleece weighs maybe 8 ounces / square yard and...

September 11, 8:30pm

Re: Loft
I've used down vest in wet under rain jacket when it was raining and it worked okay I usually use synthetic even though it weighs a little more, mostly out of inertia There have been time...

September 10, 9:19pm

Re: More specific
What loft? Maybe 1.5 inches for 20 F. Maybe a little more - but you could always get into your sleeping bag If you're in camp you shouldn't get wet from sweat.

September 10, 6:04pm

Re: Opinions Please.
Fleece is maybe 10 times heavier for the same warmth as synthetic Maybe if you need just a little warmth when you're exercising in cold weather it would make sense? But for hiking even do...

September 10, 5:06pm

Re: North America versus Europe, the decimal point
Bean counters use M instead of K to mean a thousand Now I see why the tax code (written by bean counters) is so screwed up - they're using Roman Numerals rather than the modern decimal syste...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » North America versus Europe, the decimal point
September 10, 11:13am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.