BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4151 - 4160 of 6434 | Page: 1 ...407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ...644

Forum » Thread

Re: water filter advice
I've used Katadyn filter on tannins in the Olympics Does nothing to tannins They must be very small Tannins are harmless, although I don't like the taste

In Make Your Own Gear » water filter advice
March 20, 7:20am

Re: New trails
Rogue River and Illinois River are nice - low elevation so accessible year-round The area above Applegate Reservoir is supposed to be nice, sort of on my list to do sometime but a bit far away f...

In Philosophy & Technique » New trails
March 20, 7:16am

Re: New trails
Sometimes this site, but because it's international not so good for local area. portlandhikers.org, nwhikers.net books like Sullivan's so, what are a couple of your favorites?

In Philosophy & Technique » New trails
March 19, 8:48pm

Was Jesus a homosexual?
He spent all his time with men Just wondering

In Chaff » Guns, Global Warming, LNT, Environmentalism, Class Warfare, Hunting, Yuppies, General Politics, Toilet Paper, Nutrition...
March 19, 6:04pm

Re: re: sewing fleece
"I'd suggest that you find a sewing machine that can sew an edge-locking stitch right up to the edge of the fabric" Fleece doesn't unravel so you don't need to do anything ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Fleece material
March 19, 1:45pm

Re: Dumb Things We've Done
Driving in the winter in Southern Oregon coast range. Where you occasionally hear a story about someone getting stuck in the snow and dieing. There was gradually more snow and no place to tur...

In Chaff » Dumb Things We've Done
March 19, 10:26am

Re: Taller Octomid.
If you make it taller it's heavier and blows around in the wind more Not so good for ultralight backpacking But a good winter shelter for several people that wanted to hang out protected ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Octamid Help
March 19, 8:24am

Re: Vet
I've been there a few times, also in the summer I've read trip reports at nwhiker.net and portlandhikers.org for the off season that inspired my warning : ) Also just the cascades in ge...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Enchantments in June; staying WARM
March 18, 2:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Octamid Help
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, great idea, fewer seams and little waste.

March 18, 2:02pm

Re: Octamid Help
Or, you could just make a square rather than octogon - very little performance difference. If you want to place several sleeping bags side to side, a square base is actually better.

March 18, 1:10pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.