Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4151 - 4160 of 8774 | Page: 1 ...407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ...878

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Non-Toxic Alternatives?
I tried Cedar oil for mosquitoes and it had no effect, but maybe ticks are different. If you wear light colored clothing you can see the ticks easier. Maybe permethrin just on the outside of ...

In Chaff » Ticks
July 23, 9:17am

Re: Re: Re: Either way is basically the same
"But, R value measures TOTAL heat loss. Not just convective, conductive or IR alone." I agree, but this is confusing. Conductive heat loss is proportional to the temperature differe...

In GEAR » Which way do I orient a reflective pad?
July 23, 9:13am

Re: Re: Wearing a windshirt as a single layer in hot weather?
I just did a trip with sun, bugs, 85 F temps (when I was in the shade). All the time, I wore a tight weave nylon shirt, so it provided bug and sun protection. The shirt gets sweaty so it cool...

In GEAR » Wearing a windshirt as a single layer in hot weather?
July 23, 8:41am

Re: Hold On
"Wait, so if you have it silver-side down, can't the foam act as the air space? Was my hypothesis correct?!" First you have the aluminized surface. Then you have the wall of the f...

July 23, 8:18am

Re: jugalo
"Magnets, how do they work????" I'm glag you asked. Let's start with Maxwell's equations...

July 23, 8:12am

Re: Re: Re: Not so fast
If you cover yourself with aluminum foil, you will radiate no heat. The emissivity is close to zero. Using Stefan-Boltzman equation, no IR radiation. You'll still lose heat from conduction.

July 22, 11:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which way do I orient a reflective pad?
If your skin is touching the reflective surface, then it will conduct heat. If you touch a piece of aluminum foil, it will be the same temperature as your skin.

July 22, 11:18pm

Re: Not so fast
It's not that it reflects heat, it prevents you from radiating heat.

July 22, 10:55pm

Re: Re: Which way do I orient a reflective pad?
I think silver side up would be warmer, but just barely In order to reflect heat you need an air space next to the reflective surface, otherwise conduction will make the reflective surface and w...

July 22, 10:53pm

Re: re
True enough but I've had floors from other silnylon that leaked, which I managed with, but it's better if the floor doesn't leak when you're on wet ground

In GEAR » How much waterproofing is enough?
July 22, 4:40pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.