Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4151 - 4160 of 8966 | Page: 1 ...407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 ...897

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: UHMWP
I don't think polyethylene is UV resistant either, but you can have it out in the sun for months before it degrades a lot. Maybe UV resistant isn't important for typical backpackers that...

In GEAR » alternatives to Cuben Fabric?
August 28, 10:57am

Re: Help me choose footwear
If you look at major manufacturers, they also have heavy tents, packs, sleeping bags,... Another possibility is the lightest mid height boots. For example, I have some Ahnu Mendocino boots that...

In GEAR » Help me choose footwear
August 28, 10:52am

Re: Bought it and returned it ....
Leave pot support on? I agree, if you have to take off pot support that's a negative

In GEAR » soto windmaster
August 28, 8:46am

soto windmaster
Anyone try soto windmaster stove: Rim around edge so holes in burner are recessed so there is small distance between rim and bottom of pot which may make it windproof. Then, the pot holde...

In GEAR » soto windmaster
August 28, 8:19am

Re: Lightweight Alcohol for a Lightweight
Squeeze lemon and add sugar - maybe 2 oz juice and 2 T sugar. Maybe 1/4 of that, 1 ounce everclear (95% alcohol), 8 ounces water

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calling Backpackin' Bartenders: Need Alcohol for a Lightweight
August 28, 7:55am

Re: Re: UHMWP
3 mil polyethylene weighs 2 oz per square yard

In GEAR » alternatives to Cuben Fabric?
August 27, 11:10pm

Re: My method of keeping the dirty away from the clean.
There are 500 drops in an ounce. If you had a 20 ounce water bottle that would be 10,000 drops. If you had one drop of dirty water in with your clean water, that would be 99.99% clean. EPA r...

In Philosophy & Technique » Filtering protocol: how strict should I be about dirty water contaminating my clean water?
August 27, 3:59pm

Re: Bivy inside a Mid Shelter or Ground Sheet?
I use bivy inside mid. If it's windy and rainy, stuff will sometimes blow in so bivy is good If the weather is good then I can just use bivy which is good against dew and have mid in rese...

In GEAR » Bivy inside a Mid Shelter or Ground Sheet?
August 27, 3:47pm

Re: "Unsure about this conversion from boots to trail shoes"
With flexible soles you can feel the ground better More of your sole will contact the ground so you will slide around less Try both shoes and boots and see what you like best And maybe in ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unsure about this conversion from boots to trail shoes
August 27, 11:11am

Re: Each to their own
definitely to each his own. And different techniques work on different trips for different people. the problem with wet feet is they become "pruned" and susceptible to abrasion or fun...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unsure about this conversion from boots to trail shoes
August 27, 10:53am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.