Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 411 - 420 of 684 | Page: 1 ...33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ...69

Forum » Thread

Gatewood cape plus bivy?
I'm carrying a Gatewood Cape plus bivy to start the Appalachian Trail, but wouldn't do so to start the PCT. Just go with the G.C. and no bivy to start with (do bring a head net for the *v...

In Gear Lists » Another PCT gear list.
February 12, 2:46pm

Durability fixed!
Thanks, Ben --- interesting that you say that about the durability. I have quite a few miles on a pair of Versa Force (also a newer model) and these don't show any tearing out of the upper (ac...

In GEAR » GoLite Comp TR Shoes
February 08, 12:14pm

Neuroma surgery, etc
"Brian, I really hope to avoid surgery. I’ve heard of 1-3 months recovery on crutches in a foot brace. How long were you off your feet? If I have to I have to but it would drive me crazy.&qu...

In GEAR » Wide forefoot/toe box shoe suggestions after pinched nerve
February 08, 12:10pm

Golites
I just had surgery for Morton's Neuroma on one foot in late Nov, and needed a wide toe box shoe before I got it due to little-toe side bunions (bunionettes). Hmm, I went to jump school too ba...

In GEAR » Wide forefoot/toe box shoe suggestions after pinched nerve
February 07, 12:42pm

rehydrading chicken
"I've tried dehydrating the canned chicken but have had poor results getting it to re-hydrate. What is your secret? Maybe I'm dehydrating too much?" I think my only "secre...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Vacuum Sealing
February 07, 12:30pm

bivy for bugs in warm weather?
I have a lot less bivy experience than Sean. I carried a really light (not waterproof) bivy along with my poncho tarp for the first 700 miles and used it maybe twice, once for bugs. I've done...

In GEAR » PCT sleep system help
February 06, 12:34pm

can dry then vacuum seal
More work, but I've had good results with buying the larger cans of chicken on sale once a year and spreading the contents out on a food dryer. Then vacuum seal the results in small amounts an...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Vacuum Sealing
February 06, 12:19pm

Adjust for bugs ...
"... it seems that I can get by with the poncho/tarp and bivy as long as I am off the trail by September..." The wild-card here IMO is how well you deal with mosquitoes. Without an en...

February 03, 1:09pm

Hammock?
Opinions about hammocks on the PCT vary a lot; in part this depends on how much better you personally sleep in a hammock. Also related, for me at least, is whether you can at least be "weight...

February 02, 1:20pm

tarp to start, then tent for bugs
Like Dave, I used just a poncho-tarp (and a very light, not waterproof bivy) for the first 700 miles, then I switched to a fairly light (single wall) tent at Kennedy Meadows. I'd do exactly th...

February 01, 11:44am

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am