BPL Community Profile

Kevin Babione (KBabione) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pennsylvania
About Me I live near Lancaster PA and do most of my backpacking in the central and north-central parts of the state.
CityLititz
StatePA
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kevin Babione

Showing 411 - 420 of 615 | Page: 1 ...33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ...62

Forum » Thread

Wentzel Tent - You get what you pay for
Be pretty careful setting it up while you're out on the trail. A friend of mine took one on the Old Loggers Path a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine the first night. The second night the...

In GEAR » Testing for Waterproofing
June 27, 8:33am

It's Scienifically Proven
Hey! I have a Te-Wa under quilt and it has made my pack lighter (by replacing a Thermarest) and my sleep more comfortable. No science...just experience.

In Hammocks » It's scientifically proven!
June 25, 6:14am

Another Wood-Burning Camp Stove
I understand there's no way to review each and every product on the market, but I was sad to see that the Antig Outdoors Woodlore Woodgas Stove wasn't reviewed. It appears similar to the B...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Wood-Burning Camp Stoves - State of the Market Report 2011
June 22, 2:48pm

Poles are required!
I get out on just 3-4 trips a year and am admittedly out of shape. Using my poles (LT4's that I set once each trip and never adjust) makes the difference for me between having an enjoyable tri...

In Philosophy & Technique » Poles are a burden?
June 16, 8:12am

23 Mile Loop within 2 Hours of NYC
You might want to consider the Pinchot Trail in the Poconos. It's probably a 2-hour drive for you to reach Thornhurst. I haven't hiked this one yet, but people like it. It's a 23-m...

In Post-Trip Reports » 2 UL Guys & 2 Reg/Heavy Pack Guys @ Harriman State Park
June 15, 9:24am

Cleaning a Platypus Hose
Completely black? Nasty! I actually remove the hose from the mouthpiece each trip. Platypus makes a tube brush and that allows me to easily run the brush through the hose. I then spin the tube ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cleaning platypus hose
June 15, 5:54am

Camelbak Elixir
I drink a lot while hiking normally, and even more in hot weather. Two weekends ago while hiking a chunk of the Mid State Trail in PA I was drinking around eight liters a day. I really like the...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Drink mixes for hot weather
June 15, 5:47am

Wise or Wuss?
Chas, Three days later we were hiking up a large pile of rocks (I was in the lead) and about six feet from the top I heard the "buzz" of a rattler letting me know he was there. He sli...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wise or Wuss?
June 13, 10:42am

Wise or Wuss?
Last weekend I was hiking a section of the Mid State Trail through Pennsylvania. We reached our campsite the first night and I put up my hammock. Shortly after that I grabbed my toilet kit and wa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Wise or Wuss?
June 13, 7:33am

Drying socks in the field
I'm a hammock sleeper and use a quilt. I wear my wet socks until it's time to go to bed and then I get in my hammock, change into my dry sleep socks, and simply put the wet socks in the ha...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to dry out wet socks in the backcountry?
June 13, 6:06am

All Reader Reviews by Kevin Babione

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Extremely Light Down Jacket
I'm a big guy and have the Ex Light in XXL - weighs 7.8 ounces. In addition to being a great piece of insulation to wear I've found that I can use it in my hammock as an extra top quilt by op...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 03, 1:42pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just finished reading the book - it's an enjoyable and quick read. I've got two weekend trips planned this spring with guys who have never backpacked in their lives. I'm passing the bo...

In Books and Media
March 28, 5:52am