BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 411 - 420 of 430 | Page: 1 ...24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Forum » Thread

20,000/25,000
I've been looking at the new BC-200 too. I like the fact that it's so light at 11 ounces. It's not made of eVent, but a product that has fairly close waterproof/breathable numbers. ...

In GEAR » First Ascent BC-200, Rab Demand Pull-on
June 03, 12:44pm

Contact GG Directly
GG has great customer service...give them a call or email them.

In GEAR » LT4 lock came apart
June 03, 12:38pm

Pole Recommendation
I've never liked the 'twist' style locking mechanisms. They slip on me, don't like to come apart, and sometimes don't like to go back together again. Most people here love the...

In GEAR » Pole recommendationss
June 02, 1:46pm

PD10
FRANK....I like the looks of the light you use, but I see it doesn't last very long. General Mode: 6 lumens (64hrs) -> 95 lumens (3hrs) -> 190 lumens (1hrs) What setting do you us...

In GEAR » Favorite Small Lantern?
May 27, 8:46am

Lumix DMC-ZS7
Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 w/GPS. It has a 12x optical zoom (25mm to 300 mm equivalent), it's 12.1 megapixels, and has GPS built into it. I don't know its wieght. I'm...

In GEAR » Camera ideas? HD + light weight + 10Megapixel + Zoooooom
May 26, 1:00pm

Sorta Narrow
I tried on Inov8's the other day and found them to be too narrow. I went to a New Balance store and found I have 2E wide feet. Check out your foot width before stepping into a pair of Inov8&#...

In GEAR » inov8 roclite 315 vs. terroc 330
May 26, 12:39pm

Suspension vs. wieght
This will be answered different based on ones comfort level. I've tried on loads of UL backbacks and I just can't get comfortable with them. That's why I'm currently with the Osph...

In GEAR » Value of substantial suspension
May 24, 12:06pm

Two Poles Always - 20 years +
About 25 years ago I went to Europe after College and saw hiking poles all over the Swiss Alps. I'd never seen them before. The locals loved them. I used my ski poles when I got home and hav...

In GEAR » Trekking poles-who uses them?
May 24, 9:00am

Ultralight Sleeping Bag Compression Stuff Sack
Who makes one? I'm looking at stuffing a GoLite Quilt into it.

In GEAR » Ultralight Sleeping Bag Compression Stuff Sack
May 20, 3:53pm

Brian.......
Brian, I meant doing the run at the base of the falls...not the top to bottom. My error...sorry. It's always a quick after work run.

In GEAR » Gravity filter theory
May 19, 3:57pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am