BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4061 - 4070 of 5400 | Page: 1 ...398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 ...540

Forum » Thread

Re: Had VFF's for a couple of years.
I've had a pair of KSOs for about 18 months. They are a struggle to get on at first, the problem is getting each toe into its proper toe condom. But with a little practice is gets pretty quick....

In Editor's Roundtable » Vibram FiveFingers KSO Treks Review
January 14, 1:20am

Re: No real chance
I think his real problem is going to be mental. Most people cannot go for long periods by themselves. They need company. Andy, your thoughts on this?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?
January 14, 12:58am

Re: Ultimate Solutions
The ultimate solution is to switch to a durable cuben pack and dispense with pack covers and liners all together :) Joe at Z-packs says his cuben packs' life span is one full thru-hike. Not ...

In GEAR » Pack Cover Weight?
January 14, 12:52am

Re: Re: Thx
You live in LA. Easiest is San Jacinto. No worry about parking, there is no snow in the Tramway parking lot. In 30 minutes you will be at 8,500 feet. Two mile hike to Round Valley and 500 feet elev...

In Winter Hiking » Snow Camping in the Southern Sierra (or anywhere for that matter).
January 13, 12:55am

Re: Re: new waterfall record
Introducing a hands down future winner of The Darwin Award. I second your nomination.

In Packrafting » new waterfall record
January 13, 12:24am

Re: Solar Panels??
DW, Wow. That's a lot of planning. Would be cool if you could post some pictures. Perhaps if we are hijacking this thread we could start a new one in Chaff. I installed 3 ceiling fans in ...

In GEAR » Solar Panels??
January 13, 12:08am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Solar Panels??
DW, Some great points. Your solar installation included assessment and upgrades to other items in the house. Similar to what I did with our trailer. I measured my consumption and adjusted. Bigge...

In GEAR » Solar Panels??
January 11, 10:26pm

Re: Re: Solar Panels??
Ben, No I haven't. Here is the reason. The only way you can realize a ROI (amortize your costs over 20 years - which is what most quality companies warranty their panels for) is to take adva...

In GEAR » Solar Panels??
January 11, 1:39am

Re: Re: Re: Solar Panels??
> Nick, it is easy for you to be a big solar advocate. You live in Southern California. > As you start moving north, the practicality of solar reduces. By Portland, it is marginal. By Seattl...

In GEAR » Solar Panels??
January 10, 11:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Solar Panels??
>You got rid of that Starcraft that you did all those great mods too?! Terri, look closely at the upper right of the picture I posted. It is there in the background. I am probably going to gi...

In GEAR » Solar Panels??
January 10, 11:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am