BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4051 - 4060 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: No love for Eco gear??
>> One of the best examples I have seen is the reduction in floourocarbon products like Freon 12 in air conditioning products. I saw the changes first hand in the automobile indiustry and it ...

In GEAR » No love for Eco gear?
February 07, 7:15pm

Re: Re: Skurka Gear Book
+2 Miguel!! One thing that has not been pointed out regarding Fletcher; his writing style. Even if one was not interested in all the details, he was just plain fun to read.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka Gear Book
February 07, 10:12am

Re: No love for Eco gear??
And so how do we measure eco footprint of manufacturers? What standards do we use? And do the standard-setters have their own agenda? Al Gore is considered by some to be the standard bearer, but he...

In GEAR » No love for Eco gear?
February 07, 10:05am

Re: Skurka Gear Book
Andy, I would start out by defining the segments in terms of weight. Traditional, Light, UL, SUL, etc. This would be base-wight. I would not express your opinion as to the best method. Allow the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka Gear Book
February 06, 10:56am

Re: Trailrunners: Waterproof or Not?
I prefer non-water proof for most conditions. But there is a lot to be said for GTX in mild conditions when you are hiking on a lot of sandy, dusty terrain. Amazing how much cleaner your feet are, ...

In GEAR » Trailrunners: Waterproof or Not?
January 30, 7:35pm

Re: Training & Workout
Weight is not necessarily a barometer of physical fitness or strength. People who work all day lifting and carrying loads, often can hike up very steep elevations because their legs are very strong...

In Philosophy & Technique » Training & Workout
January 30, 7:32pm

Re: So far so good
Larry, You are just starting out. Don't worry a lot about technique, time, etc. I would start out with a certain distance. Lets say 2 or 3 miles, a loop back to your house or starting point....

In Philosophy & Technique » Lighter, Further, Faster (a.k.a. Trail Running)
January 28, 11:20pm

Re: Lighter, Further, Faster (a.k.a. Trail Running)
Larry, Good for you. As a kid I had serious asthma. To the point that a doctor highly recommended that my parents send me to live in a different climate at a special facility, which they could n...

In Philosophy & Technique » Lighter, Further, Faster (a.k.a. Trail Running)
January 28, 9:07am

Re: The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?
Sometimes people establish Big Hairy Goals, and if they fall a little short, they still do big things. Also, maybe this is not marketing. For some people who want to stop smoking, but are unsure...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?
January 27, 1:14pm

Re: Trip & Route Planning Process
1. What do you do (e.g., checklist of your trip/route planning activities?) I locate an area of interest, that looks like there will be few people using it. I then get a USGS topo map (print or on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trip & Route Planning Process
January 27, 1:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am