BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4031 - 4040 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 ...542

Forum » Thread

Re: Training & Workout
Weight is not necessarily a barometer of physical fitness or strength. People who work all day lifting and carrying loads, often can hike up very steep elevations because their legs are very strong...

In Philosophy & Technique » Training & Workout
January 30, 7:32pm

Re: So far so good
Larry, You are just starting out. Don't worry a lot about technique, time, etc. I would start out with a certain distance. Lets say 2 or 3 miles, a loop back to your house or starting point....

In Philosophy & Technique » Lighter, Further, Faster (a.k.a. Trail Running)
January 28, 11:20pm

Re: Lighter, Further, Faster (a.k.a. Trail Running)
Larry, Good for you. As a kid I had serious asthma. To the point that a doctor highly recommended that my parents send me to live in a different climate at a special facility, which they could n...

In Philosophy & Technique » Lighter, Further, Faster (a.k.a. Trail Running)
January 28, 9:07am

Re: The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?
Sometimes people establish Big Hairy Goals, and if they fall a little short, they still do big things. Also, maybe this is not marketing. For some people who want to stop smoking, but are unsure...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Initiative...12,500 miles, one year, will he do it?
January 27, 1:14pm

Re: Trip & Route Planning Process
1. What do you do (e.g., checklist of your trip/route planning activities?) I locate an area of interest, that looks like there will be few people using it. I then get a USGS topo map (print or on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trip & Route Planning Process
January 27, 1:07pm

Re: What do you look like?
Praying for good weather.

In Chaff » What do you look like?
January 24, 6:33pm

Re: Los Padres, Father and Son, 1/22-1/23
Craig, Looks like a great weekend for both of you. Keep doing them as often as you can. They grow-up and leave in the blink of any eye.

In Post-Trip Reports » Los Padres, Father and Son, 1/22-1/23
January 23, 7:12pm

The Internet has changed Backpacking
When I was a kid, I got interested in trout fishing. Specifically I "discovered" the southern Sierra's rivers and streams. I had a friend who got me interested. We would bum rides or ...

In GEAR » "Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the lightest of them all?"
January 23, 12:01pm

Re: competition
Aaron, Good comments. In a sense I think we are all competitors. Hopefully not against each, but against ourselves. The first level is to be safe; that is to use our wits "to command nat...

In GEAR » "Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the lightest of them all?"
January 23, 4:27am

re: visclamps
Mark, I haven't seen them in ages. But you need to understand that I am a packrat, and my garage is like a museum... only I don't know where everything is :) Today my wife made me cle...

In GEAR » A dirty little secret about poly tarps--- they are light and {{{cheap}}}
January 23, 3:49am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am