BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4031 - 4040 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: Tarp or Tarp Tent
No easy answer. And what people use is very subjective and personal. You might look at a Six Moons Wild Oasis. It only weighs 13oz and has a bug net around the bottom perimeter. I prefer a tarp ...

In GEAR » Tarp or Tarp Tent
January 16, 3:57am

Re: World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users
I don't understand the popularity or useful purpose of Facebook. But then I get PO'd if someone sends me a text message on my phone... why don't they just call me? But then, I usual...

In Chaff » World Map -- As Drawn by Facebook Users
January 16, 3:51am

Re: bladders
I have a couple of hydration bladders, that were given to me as gifts. Tried them a couple of times, and really did not find them convenient. Sometimes I use 1L or 2L platys, but mostly 1L water bo...

In GEAR » Anyone move away from Water Bladders?
January 16, 3:43am

Re: Pre
Pre... I hear a lot about him, since his birthday and Joe's are the same day, January 25th :) Current American Record is 12:56 set by Dathan Ritzehein in August 2009. World Record is ...

In Other Activities » My son just won the Big West Conference 10K
January 16, 3:14am

Re: Re: Ultimate Solutions
Okay, Back to the OP. Pack covers often do keep a pack water proof, but in extended precipitation they usually fail for the intended purpose. Liners do much better, if not completely water...

In GEAR » Pack Cover Weight?
January 14, 2:39pm

Re: BPL just changed the rules..
I think Craig said it all very well. The thread that you posted was doomed to be a nightmare from the start, and I am sure the two parties you identified were probably not thrilled about it eith...

In Chaff » The new Chaff
January 14, 2:34pm

Re: Cotton as a base layer
One of the interesting commentaries in this thread and the thread linked by Richard is the argument that cotton makes a good base layer in dry, hot conditions (i.e. the desert, in the summer). Is t...

In GEAR » Performance characteristics of nylon and spandex when used as base layers
January 14, 2:17pm

Re: Re: Re: Ultimate Solutions
> I bet after 2-3K miles, even "traditional" backpacks will show significant battle scars. Agree. But there is a difference between life span and battle scars. Somewhere in my g...

In GEAR » Pack Cover Weight?
January 14, 2:10pm

Re: SpinnTwinn and bivy?
For most 3 season use the SpinnTwinn, properly pitched, should be fine without a bivy for keeping everything dry. However, if something unplanned happens, such as camping in a depression that flood...

In GEAR » SpinnTwinn and bivy?
January 14, 1:47am

Re: Had VFF's for a couple of years.
I've had a pair of KSOs for about 18 months. They are a struggle to get on at first, the problem is getting each toe into its proper toe condom. But with a little practice is gets pretty quick....

In Editor's Roundtable » Vibram FiveFingers KSO Treks Review
January 14, 1:20am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am