Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4021 - 4030 of 8135 | Page: 1 ...394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ...814

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Water treatment
" "Inline filters seem a bit unwieldy" Unweldy in what way." The hoses make it unwieldy. They weigh a little. You have to store them. One more thing to have to fiddle w...

In GEAR » Water treatment
April 07, 12:45pm

Re: Re: Water treatment
"All water filters are effected by freezing. When water freezes it expands, and that can cause cracks, punctures, or other forms of failure. The simple solution to this problem is to disconnec...

April 07, 12:34pm

Re: I listen to everything.
Older people have wisdom which is useful to solve problems. But it also results in lack of flexibility, think they know everything Younger people bring more new ideas and challenge old assumpti...

In GEAR » Canister failure: has this happened to you?
April 07, 12:00pm

Re: Seeking a guide for Olympic NP for Mid-May
Drive to Ozette and do Sand Point/Cape Alava loop 9 miles and walk further North or South if you want. Or if you're at high tide, you can just do either and walk along the beach but it may be ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Seeking a guide for Olympic NP for Mid-May
April 07, 11:01am

Re: Water treatment
did you read the comments at the end of those articles? I prefer the Sawyer Squeeze because of it's simplicity, but it bugs me that they don't know how it is effected by freezing so they...

April 06, 11:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Superior canister fuel (?)
"Geez, Jerry, haven't we beaten that dead horse?" ha, ha, ha - true enough yet, the original question of this post was - is a 20/80 or 25/75 blend of propane/iso better? and ...

In GEAR » Best cold weather canister fuel?
April 06, 11:40pm

Re: Re: Superior canister fuel (?)
I've never understood the logic of adding some propane. If you use 80% iso and 20% propane, if it's cold, more propane will come out initially so the canister will gradually have a lower...

In GEAR » Best cold weather canister fuel?
April 06, 8:37pm

Re: Ha!
I'll take Max as an "East Coast, highly opinionated, dangerously vocal, and woefully headstrong" person and not "smitten with himself" And my BPL membership is worth it ...

In GEAR » Canister failure: has this happened to you?
April 06, 8:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Adjustable grip hitch
A tautline hitch doesn't work so good on small diameter cord, because there isn't enough area of cord to have friction to keep it from slipping. If, after you slide the knot to adjust th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Adjustable grip hitch
April 06, 10:36am

Re: Re: last page of a thread available?
"What answer have you not found?" What is the meaning of life?

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Why is only the last page of a thread is available
April 06, 10:15am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.