BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4021 - 4030 of 6459 | Page: 1 ...394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ...646

Forum » Thread

Re: Stuck in bed for a week, help me find a book!
Jon Krakauer Into the Wild - about a guy that went into the wild in Alaska surviving on the land but eventually dies or Into Thin air - Everest climbing accident

In Chaff » Stuck in bed for a week, help me find a book!
April 25, 4:57pm

Re: Just plain tired of this
Yeah, thanks for the info Mitchel Even though there's no clear scientific answer. Very confusing that you tested positive for Giardia yet treated all your water.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia Outbreak
April 25, 4:52pm

Re: A bit of a let down
"Zippers are #3 coil" I've been experimenting with #3 coil zippers. I haven't totally decided if they're strong enough. I like the reduced weight compared to #5. Do yo...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tunnel Tents Tutorial and State of the Market Report - Part 3: The Mini-Reviews
April 25, 4:21pm

re: pants
I wear Supplex shorts and pants all the time Very comfortable against the skin Very durable "I understand pants patterns and all that." What's amazing is that topologicall...

In Make Your Own Gear » 8d for ultralight shorts?
April 25, 2:20pm

Re: re: pants
owfinc.com - get the "2 ply" which is a little lighter probably quest, seattle fabrics,... I usually get it from the local fabric store - the Mill End Store - but you never know wha...

April 25, 1:32pm

Re: 8d for ultralight shorts?
Shorts: Pants pattern: There are two pieces - right and left - which are mirror images of each other. Plus two pocket pieces. The shorts are the same as the pants except shorter. ...

April 25, 11:18am

Re: 8d for ultralight shorts?
It seems like 7D or 8D is too flimsy for shorts or pants I like to use Supplex but it's not ultralight. Keeps sun out (+50 SPF). Bugs can't put their probiscus through it. Not rainpro...

April 25, 10:39am

Re: I'm torn on what floor material to get for my bivy. Please help!
If you use silnylon, get the Shield from thru-hiker I put on bivy floor and it doesn't leak. Richard tested HH and it is much better than other silnylon. Bivy floor is the most difficult a...

In GEAR » I'm torn on what floor material to get for my bivy. Please help!
April 25, 7:36am

Re: 7d
I used 8D for sleeping bag liner - very comfortable - quiet - cheap - almost as lightweight as 7D. I think your logic about One being lighter for the same warmth is correct - but it'll just ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Material for Primaloft quilting
April 24, 4:25pm

Re: I like the weight
I use a similar vest although heavier. I think a full length zipper is much better because it allows you to better regulate warmth so you don't overheat and sweat. Full length zipper migh...

In Make Your Own Gear » UltraLight vest - 5.1oz
April 24, 10:45am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.