Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4021 - 4030 of 8772 | Page: 1 ...394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ...878

Forum » Thread

Re: I need tips for sewing webbing!
I use inexpensive machine (Janome). Webbing is very loose weave so not necesarily that difficult. Does the machine work on regular fabric? Try sewing down the middle of a piece of the webb...

In Make Your Own Gear » I need tips for sewing webbing!
August 13, 7:55am

Re: Re: Re: Best place to download trail maps?
Do you just want to look at it online? Print it out on paper? Download to GPS?

In Philosophy & Technique » Best place to download trail maps?
August 13, 7:50am

Re: Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
does that mean don't hike with other BPL people?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
August 12, 9:09pm

Re: No arrest on ice
You need to have the ice axe in your hand if you want to self arrest : )

In GEAR » Learning how to use an ice axe this winter near Asheville
August 12, 5:14pm

Re: Learning how to use an ice axe this winter near Asheville
Yeah, that's better advice. Start with an easy slope and then try a steeper slope. A class is good. They'll talk about using a rope, protection devices, crevasses, weather,... Might b...

August 12, 12:16pm

Re: Learning how to use an ice axe this winter near Asheville
Go to a snow slope that's about 45 degrees. With a good run out so if you can't stop, you won't hurt yourself. Jump and start sliding. Jam pick. Stop. Do it a few times. Sort of...

August 12, 11:48am

Re: rechargeable
I think NiMH rechargeable batteries also have a little lower voltage. But a fully charged NiMH battery has a higher voltage than a mostly discharged Alkaline. NiMH can supply more current, so hig...

In GEAR » Lightweight, basic GPS logger - Holux?
August 11, 3:59pm

Re: modifying an existing bag... how far is too far?
You need sewing machine. Realistically, you have to make several things before you get experience. Maybe be cheaper to just buy already made stuff. If you have time and enjoy it, then MYOG...

In Make Your Own Gear » modifying an existing bag... how far is too far?
August 11, 2:03pm

Re: Lightweight, basic GPS logger - Holux?
Lithium batteries have a slightly higher voltage NiMH are slightly larger diameter

In GEAR » Lightweight, basic GPS logger - Holux?
August 11, 11:53am

Re: Re: Differential Cut Question, Please help.
"You won't be a circle when you sleep, though. You will be more of an elongated oval..." Doesn't matter This is more of a math problem than designing a differential cut, alt...

In Make Your Own Gear » Differential Cut Question, Please help.
August 11, 8:55am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.