BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4021 - 4030 of 7573 | Page: 1 ...394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ...758

Forum » Thread

Re: temporary shelter for day hiking in PNW
+1 eric - not worth putting up and down when day hiking sometimes I find a sheltered spot under a tree or rock you could use an umbrella

In GEAR » temporary shelter for day hiking in PNW
December 17, 8:10am

Re: Is Gutterman thread necessary?
My local fabric store carries Gutterman which makes it convenient Maybe check other stores in your area to see if anyone carries it

In Make Your Own Gear » Is Gutterman thread necessary?
December 17, 8:04am

Re: Re: 60 Minutes Piece
60 Minutes said the initial reports were that the mother was a teacher and he targeted her class, neither of which is correct The initial reporters didn't know she was killed at home before-...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 16, 11:04pm

60 Minutes Piece
They interviewed some secret service agents that did a study of shootings, mentioned a couple things: Shootings are very rare - I think maybe we shouldn't worry about them so much? Usuall...

In Chaff » Newtown
December 16, 9:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Re
There are a finite number of threads. When we use up the last one, pooof!, that will be the end of the internets...

In GEAR » Is cuben fiber flammable?
December 16, 9:27pm

Re: choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing
I've used nobul from http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Fabric.html Cheap, the lightest weight I used it for synthetic but it's reported to be fairly down proof. Maybe not quite as good as ...

In Make Your Own Gear » choosing between m90, m50, and 1.1 ripstop for quilts and clothing
December 16, 9:23pm

Re: Pulk / sled for winter backpacking?
search for "pulk" and you'll get a number of threads such as http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40605

In GEAR » Pulk / sled for winter backpacking?
December 16, 5:46pm

Re: Re: Hood photos pretty please
Does your camera have timer function? Maybe you're just shy?

In GEAR » Westcomb Focus LT hoody - initial impressions
December 16, 4:04pm

Re: Re: Newb Question - Sleeping Bag Width
I like to have enough extra room to wear insulated garment inside without compressing it. I like to have enough extra room to pull my legs up into fetal position.

In GEAR » Newb Question - Sleeping Bag Width
December 16, 10:19am

Re: Off topic...but still about bears
I did a Yellowstone trip in about 1966 We counted more than 100 bears - bears on the side of the road causing traffic jams, bears going through campgrounds with people shooing them away by bangi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grizzly Bear Attacks on the Rise
December 16, 10:08am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.