BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4021 - 4030 of 7097 | Page: 1 ...394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ...710

Forum » Thread

Re: Sawyer Squeeze questions
Just set bag and Squeeze on a downsloping rock and let water flow into clean water bottle: If you don't squeeze very hard, and you're careful with the Squeeze to bag connection I thi...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze questions
October 02, 2:24pm

Re: going for conclusions
I agree, there's a "firing squad" aspect to this : ) If you want to talk about the weight of the fabric, it of course depends, but: Let's say you have 3 inch loft. That wou...

In GEAR » Smaller sleeping bag with 100% overfill: I am confused
October 02, 12:01pm

Re: Re: 16 oz. Beverage Bottles
Most cans in the U.S. are coated with BPA If you heat them up, the BPA will disolve into the liquid Some studies say even small amounts of BPA can be dangerous - it mimics Estrogen

In GEAR » 16 oz. Beverage Bottles
October 02, 10:29am

Re: read the thread dustin
I agree with you totally Dustin. You explained it very clearly. The question isn't whether anyone is right or wrong, but how much down and loft to use to maximize warmth and minimize weight...

October 02, 8:09am

Re: Re: Re: hmmm - not quite
Sorry Dustin : ) I'm pretty sure the question was if you overfill down 100%, will you get the same warmth for the weight. That is the only thing that's important so maybe I assumed that...

October 01, 9:32pm

Re: real answer
You have to weigh tent before and after because some of it evaporates Except, you're right it won't really matter

In GEAR » how much weight can I expect seam-sealing adds to a shelter's weight?
October 01, 8:38pm

Re: hmmm - not quite
But, if you're talking about overfilling and maintaining the same loft, then the weight of the fabric will be the same. If you overfill by 100%, you'll have twice as much down. The loft...

October 01, 5:55pm

Re: Re: Re: A full explanation
"So, uh, like what brand of like fuel should I totally use" Giga Power or MSR at REI are good It has to say "iso-butane" on the canister Then it's good down to 20 t...

In GEAR » blended butane failure
October 01, 5:45pm

Re: Re: How many folk backpack all year round.
"Hitting the sack at 5pm and not getting up until 7-8am really sucks IMHO" Okay, maybe the sun rises at 8AM and sets at 4PM but you get an hour of dawn and dusk at each end, and maybe ...

In Chaff » How many folk backpack all year round.
October 01, 5:09pm

Re: Re: A full explanation
"David's explanation makes it sound like something he could not admit to until after the Statute of Limitations had run out." Must be a "Breaking Bad" reference : )

In GEAR » blended butane failure
October 01, 5:03pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.