BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 4021 - 4030 of 6427 | Page: 1 ...394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ...643

Forum » Thread

Re: Nesting tent poles?
If the poles nest, some will have a bigger diameter, which makes them heavier than necesary Better to have all the sections the minimum diameter that's strong enough

In GEAR » Nesting tent poles?
April 18, 8:21am

re
Nice looking pack Thanks for the ideas, some day I may do something like that

In Make Your Own Gear » First MYOG project: Cuben backpack
April 18, 7:45am

Re: Tunnel Tents Tutorial and State of the Market Report - Part 2
"From the comparisons of the "Caffin" tent versus the commercial alternatives, it's obvious that most of us will wait for Ruta Locura to produce the former!" Or, make you...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tunnel Tents Tutorial and State of the Market Report - Part 2: Details and Commercial Models
April 18, 7:25am

Re: Kitescreen: Source for Arrows?
polesforyou.com is in Vancouver, sells Easton and other poles, you could go look at them if you were close enough

In Make Your Own Gear » Kitescreen: Source for Arrows?
April 17, 1:53pm

Re:
"Unfortunately, Scotland is where a puddle or stream will form if it rains. Unless you're on the top of In Pinn, which is sometimes the better option." In the Pacific Northwest U.S...

In GEAR » Are bathtub floors necessary?
April 17, 10:23am

Re: Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth?
Did you see Sulk46 video http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD7%20Cuben%20Fiber%20Tarp.html He hems around the perimeter. Maybe other useful things in that video.

In Make Your Own Gear » Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth?
April 17, 9:38am

Re: Oh yes
"The old trench-around-the-tent comes from a pre-bathtub floor era, and good riddance, I say." The trench-around-the-tent comes from a pre-environmentalist era. Most people, now, don&...

April 17, 9:35am

Re: Options
With a double wall, there's still condensation on the inside of the outer fabric. The inner fabric just keeps you from touching it. If I touch the inside a bit and get some condensation on me...

In GEAR » performance between single and double walled shelters
April 17, 9:28am

Re: Are bathtub floors necessary?
I have a tent with a bathtub floor. Once, water leaked in for some reason, bathtub floor prevented the water from running off. No need for bathtub floor.

April 16, 9:35pm

Re: Taped
Hmmm Maybe the way to do it is to have tape on both sides but no tape where the row of stitches is so the needle doesn't get gummed up

In Make Your Own Gear » My first round of MYOG cuben jacket, kilt, huaraches
April 16, 5:31pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.