BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4011 - 4020 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: water bottles
One thing I really dislike about the Plus is that long pocket, because I have nothing to really put there that is long. Here is a picture of what I did one one trip. My first water source of th...

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus ?
November 07, 9:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ever heard the barn of seamus
This issue seems to be bit of an internet chicken and egg thing, with some people arguing as you are and others arguing like me - there doesn't seem to be any testing or research to support eit...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
November 07, 8:06pm

Re: Pyramid Tarp / Tent
Agree with Craig's comments about Ryan's website. I guess ultimately it comes down to how well you can live in your shelter. Pyramids are not new, going back to the Native American Te...

In GEAR » Pyramid Tarp / Tent
November 07, 7:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yorkshire
by weather I meant "climategate" :) We talk about weather all the time, especially when it is 70F-80F here in the winter, and the majority of our country is fighting snowstorms and rel...

November 05, 4:06pm

Re: Training & Workout
>> Unfortunately, they are hard as hell to do. >> Exactly Chris. Thanks for pointing that out. There are lots of methods to do both which do not require running. I prefer to j...

In Philosophy & Technique » Training & Workout
November 05, 2:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yorkshire
>> Didn't we go to different schools together? Hmm.. the important question is did we race and who won :) or can we race again today? My best was 4:25 right after I graduated...

November 05, 2:35pm

Re: High Intensity
There are two types of conditioning, aerobic and anaerobic. The first is base training and the latter intense intervals. It is best to build your base conditioning with aerobic, before attempting i...

In Philosophy & Technique » Training & Workout
November 05, 1:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yorkshire
George... Ryun was my hero when I was a miler in high school. I went to high school in Lawndale. I think it was in 1968 that Ryun and Kansas came out here to run against UCLA. The day before the...

November 05, 12:50pm

Re: Re: Re: returning from a long trip
If one's goal in life is to string a series a thru hikes together, then it is going to be difficult to re-enter society because the time in society is just enough to plan and execute the next a...

In GEAR » Re-entering society after a long distance hike
November 05, 12:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yorkshire
Rog, Inches vs millimeters... back in the 70's I was a mechanic. All my tools were Imperial. Then with the influx of Japanese cars, I had to purchase a duplicate set of metric tools. Metric ...

November 05, 9:39am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am