BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4011 - 4020 of 5368 | Page: 1 ...393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: Why a calculator?
I don't think he advocated taking a calculator on a trip. For some people a scale is one of their most valuable pieces of gear. On the same theme, I still use my 40+ year old slide rule. Nev...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2010 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 17, 3:28pm

Re: Collapsible Water Bottle Battle!
Soft bottles can be used as pillows (2 one-liter or 1 two-liter). Soft bottles will fall out of the side pockets of some packs. Soft bottles take up less room when less than full than a bott...

In GEAR » Collapsible Water Bottle Battle!
January 17, 3:24pm

Re: Hats
There sure is a lot of very positive feedback on this thread. Good job everyone! As most of you know, I live in the lower desert and wear my Tilley LT4 everywhere. However this winter I have bee...

In Gear Lists » PCT 2011 Gear List: Feedback VERY Welcomed!
January 17, 3:14pm

Re: SoCal Himalayans
Do not under estimate the southern California mountains. They can through everything at you the Sierras can. Avalanches, white-out conditions, cold, ice chutes, etc. Most of the time they are mi...

In Post-Trip Reports » SoCal Winter Epic,1.9.11
January 17, 10:12am

Re: Problem Vendor
I do most of my shopping on the Internet, and have had only one bad transaction. The seller disappeared. It was a PayPal purchase. I contacted PayPal and got my money back in less than 30 days. All...

In GEAR » Recourse for a bad vendor?
January 17, 2:54am

Re: Re: Re: Pre
"Put another way: How many of the fastest 25 5 K times were not Eithopian or Kenyan?" Or Moroccan. That probably would leave about 2 people :)

In Other Activities » My son just won the Big West Conference 10K
January 17, 2:48am

Re: New to digital...A few questions.
When I was a young man I toyed with the idea of becoming a professional photographer. I started with a 4X5 Speed Graflex in high school, then twin-lens reflex, and finally SLR. Did my own film deve...

In Photography » New to digital...A few questions.
January 17, 2:46am

Re: Training and Time
Well Craig, this is kinda what I said, but you stated it much more eloquently.

In Editor's Roundtable » Vibram FiveFingers KSO Treks Review
January 17, 1:51am

Re: Raingear for JMT/SHR in Sept
As mentioned, I would be more concerned with wind protection, and I always look at the extended weather forecast. If you are going to be gone for more than about 5 days, don't put too much fait...

In GEAR » Raingear for JMT/SHR in Sept
January 16, 4:31am

Re: Tarp or Tarp Tent
No easy answer. And what people use is very subjective and personal. You might look at a Six Moons Wild Oasis. It only weighs 13oz and has a bug net around the bottom perimeter. I prefer a tarp ...

In GEAR » Tarp or Tarp Tent
January 16, 3:57am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am