Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4001 - 4010 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Learning how to pitch a tarp
Opps... double post.

In Philosophy & Technique » Learning how to pitch a tarp
April 12, 2:52am

Re: Re: Re: Learning how to pitch a tarp
"Are real tensioners that important?" I wouldn't know the difference between a half-hitch, trucker hitch, or a 4-leaf clover :) Usually when I am putting up a shelter it is wind...

April 12, 2:52am

Re: Re: So Cal BPLers -- 3rd annual San Jacinto Loop
Hi Jim - Haven't talked to you in a while. Hope all is well. I am not in THAT kind of shape :) I probably can't do 5 miles in double Joe's time. These kind of hikes do need ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers -- 3rd annual San Jacinto Loop
April 12, 1:55am

Re: Learning how to pitch a tarp
The key is tension. As stated earlier, the guy lines need to be taunt. Most tarps I have seen pitched poorly have the poles too high, ridge line guys too short, and corners too long. Also keep in m...

April 12, 1:26am

Re: Re: I'm a bit of a zealot.
Actually, I like Mike's zealous attitude. Always know what he is going to say. It works great for some people.

In Gear Lists » 3 Season Gear List for relativly new ultraliter
April 12, 1:04am

Re: Pad
Roberto, Whitney in May can be VERY serious business. If you need to watch videos to learn how to use crampons and and ice axe, this may not be a trip you want to take until you get more experie...

In GEAR » What to wear for mount whotney
April 12, 1:00am

Re: I'm a bit of a zealot.
I live near a national park, and I am one of the VERY few people who make an effort to clean up other peoples trash. And this means I clean up other peoples used toilet paper. It's disgusting! ...

April 11, 5:42pm

Re: Re: Re: 3 Season Gear List for relativly new ultraliter
"What is Leuko Tape?" It is athletic tape. Good for blisters, sprains, etc.

April 11, 5:25pm

Re: I'll be there!!!
Greg, That would be cool! There weren't too many PCT thru-hikers on this section last year. A lot of them decided to by-pass it because of the snow, and hike Hwy 74 to Idyllwild.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers -- 3rd annual San Jacinto Loop
April 11, 2:28pm

Re: re:San Jacinto loop
Chad, I was wondering if you made that trip. How did it go? Any snow? Did you take the PCT from 74 all the way to Fobes? Did you detour to Cedar Spring? -------------- Hopefully we can kee...

April 11, 2:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am