BPL Community Profile

Mike Barney (eaglemb) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale AZ, the Great Southwest!
About Me YooHoo!

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike Barney

Showing 401 - 410 of 509 | Page: 1 ...32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Forum » Thread

Thanks for the input on Philmont!
Wanted to say thanks for all the input over the last year. We did 75 miles at Philmont over the last 12 days, and had a great time. Incredible views and great weather. It was interesting that ...

In Chaff » Thanks for the input on Philmont!
July 05, 6:27pm

Re: Sprint Aquatics arrived...
I got back from Philmont yesterday, having taken a pair of their mesh shoes. Yes, they're incredibly light, and are throw-away considering the price and durability, but... You can't use them fo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » fording rivers..crossing creeks
July 05, 6:04pm

Plagues of ticks
FWIW, we used to get many ticks walking around the farm in East Texas, until someone told us to put sulfur in our socks(about a Tablespoon in each). As you walked, it made a little cloud that Once...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ticks
June 17, 5:27pm

Anyone have a Horse Thief bag 4 sale?
got one thanks.

In Gear Swap » Anyone have a Horse Thief bag 4 sale?
June 12, 11:25pm

Re: Re: Re: orthotics are a scam
FWIW, my son the long distance track-ster swore by his orthotics. You don't have to buy them from the most expensive doctor, there are numerous reputable places to get them at a reasonable price. ...

In GEAR » orthotics
June 01, 10:28pm

Heavy Boots = knee pain, lighter = not?
Has anyone else noticed knee pain when wearing heavy boots vs. no pain with lighter weight trail runners? I'm trying to isolate what the cause is, (raw weight diff. of 4 lbs vs. 2.5, dimensions, e...

In GEAR » Heavy Boots = knee pain, lighter = not?
May 31, 11:46pm

Not Worth Petitioning GE for eVENT tents
I don't believe a petition will do any good with GE (or any other large corp). First, they'll do an survey to determine +/-'s of a potential market. For possible injury or death as in fire hazard ...

In GEAR » Worth Petitioning GE for eVENT tents?
May 30, 8:17pm

Re: BSA High Adventure programs
Hi Anon Eric, I felt compelled to respond, as I believe there are relevant facets not apparent in your post. BSA is a relatively conservative organization, not jumping to nouveau concepts bec...

In Gear Lists » Lightweight gear for Scout troop
May 28, 3:29pm

Re: Nasty bugs
As a kid, I worked on our East Texas farm clearing areas and planting trees. Ticks were everywhere. The only thing that seemed to work was putting sulfur in my socks, ~ a handful per sock. Com...

In GEAR » Another Thought: Bugs and Tarping
May 19, 11:28pm

Sold
Thanks Chris, please enjoy!

In Gear Swap » FS: Cloudburst 2 Excel Cond. + Tyvek Ground Cloth
May 12, 4:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Mike Barney

Showing 1 - 10 of 62 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Review

Category

MSR Pocket Rocket
This is a pretty basic stove that is simple to operate. It's lightweight and reasonably efficient. We used 3 of these on a 10 day hike with 10 people and they worked well. The stove is reas...

In Stoves - Canister
December 08, 5:52pm

Light My Fire Spork
I like the LMF Spork, but it's almost too flexible. I can agree with many if not most of the comments above, and have had one break. When you use it to stir something very hot, it gets soft and ...

In Cookware - Other
November 23, 9:49pm

Garmin Rino 120 GPS and FRS / GMRS Radio
Great Idea, lacking implementation.The premis of the Rino family is that it would be great to know where others are via GPS location. Great Idea. This is accomplished by using FRS radio frequencies i...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
January 21, 2:53pm

Marmot Helium (long)
I had this bag for a short period, but really liked it. It's so warm, that it was almost too warm for me above freezing, but a very comfortable bag overall. It fits me (6'1") well a...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 04, 7:24pm

Atkinson's Chick-O-Stick Crunchy Peanut Butter & Coconut Candy
I really like the "Chick'O's", they do pack significant energy in a small package, and the taste is very good. They don't break as easy as some, and have a similar texture in h...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 27, 5:29pm

Jolt Gum
I guess if I was going to give this a really fair shake I'd have consumed the whole pack. Unfortunately or fortunately 1/2 a piece was more than enough. The taste isn't there, and I do have ...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
December 11, 11:09pm

Big Agnes
We had a short term need for a bag and pad we could use at Philmont, and the Scout was on a budget. We looked around and called Big Agnes. They had a demo bag come in the next day, and they called b...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 11, 7:28pm

WalMart
Walmart really does have nice people in their outdoors department at our local establishment, who know a lot about the Coleman lanterns and stoves and shotguns / rifles and ammo and really try to hel...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 07, 10:24pm

Tarptent Cloudburst
The Cloudburst 2 was my first tent from Tarptent. I like the design, and it holds up well in rain and wind. It sleeps 2 comfortably and sets up pretty easily with as few as 3 stakes. It weight a ha...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 04, 9:24pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
I purchased 2 of these initially for a 2 week hike. In the store, it seemed like a pretty good idea during a quick checkout. It's less than 2 lbs, so one of the lighter camp chairs available. It do...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 04, 8:25pm