Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Steven Hanlon (asciibaron) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid Atlantic
About Me father of two great boys, electronic musician, and avid cyclist. i also backpack. ;)
CityPhiladelphia
StatePA
My Website URLhttp://asciibaron.hopto.org
My PDF Gear ListShoulder Season Tent and Tarp

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven Hanlon

Showing 401 - 410 of 451 | Page: 1 ...27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Forum » Thread

the last season
i recently read "The Last Season" which details the search and background for James Randall Morgenson. this book is full of lessons for anyone who heads into the back country. the key le...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learning from Ken's Ordeal
May 04, 10:30am

which reminds me...
i better check to make sure my wife sent that out...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Klearwater substitute
May 01, 11:52am

no books...
when i was in college a group of us in the dorm decided to do a 3 day trip on the Link Trail in PA not far from our campus. one of the guy's pack weighed a ton. the first evening he setup his...

In Philosophy & Technique » College Outdoor Rec Programs
April 30, 10:59am

awesome!
i decided to place a call to Xinix and left a message. Peter called me back and i have 2 bottles of Klearwater on the way. no substitute needed!

April 23, 12:17pm

Klearwater substitute
while reviewing my gear for an upcoming trip i saw my last bottle of Klearwater is about empty (still yellow after a year in the fridge!). i quick search of the archives told me the reason i w...

April 23, 11:54am

wet weather and snow
i'm wondering how you intend to use your system after a few days of rain has soaked the fuel supply. in snow, this might be an even larger hurdle to overcome. i'm guessing about the tree ...

In Philosophy & Technique » My not -so -light cook sysem and how I build a fire
April 23, 10:48am

bandanna
i find that a bandanna is too quickly saturated, and even after wringing, it looses it's ability to wick and hold liquids. maybe it's just the wicked thin ones i bought in a 5 pack years a...

In Multiple Use Gear » bandanna/packtowel-whats best?
April 22, 12:40pm

rattlers and looking down
back in August of 2007, i was hiking to Half Moon Mt. from Big Schloss in Virginia. near the intersection of the Mill Mt trail and the Tuscarora Trail there is an abandoned plane beacon site. i d...

In Chaff » When/How did you stop looking down?
April 22, 7:51am

music
i brought my iPod with me on one solo trip - i will never do it again. i felt removed from my setting, so much so, i got paranoid that i would not be alert if danger presented itself.

In Philosophy & Technique » Music and Backpacking
April 21, 11:47am

the loss of "winging it"
being able to afford new stuff is a problem, but for me, it was no longer just "making do" with what i had on hand, i could go out and buy purpose specific items. i blame Madison Ave for...

In Philosophy & Technique » WHY?
April 21, 11:28am

All Reader Reviews by Steven Hanlon

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Precip Jacket Mens
i picked up my Marmot Precip in 2005 from REI for $42.83 - i figured i couldn't go wrong at that price. if it didn't work well for backpacking, i could wear it as a casual jacket. it has b...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 11, 8:13am

McHale 0-Sarc UL
I have the SARC Chasm version and would recommend this pack to anyone who has suffered with ill fitting mass produced packs. It's a tad on the heavy side, but for me, that's not a problem sin...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 27, 5:34pm