BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 401 - 410 of 471 | Page: 1 ...29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Forum » Thread

Westmont Class of 79
Ken, yes I attended Westmont. What year(s) were you there? I didn't have any established campsites and just cowboy camped where ever I liked for the most part. We seemed to just follow cre...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Santa Cruz
May 25, 1:32pm

LX3
I finally conceded that MY perfect camera doesn't yet exist and purchased an LX3. I really like the pics and versatility but a little longer lens would be nice. Overall I am very pleased whil...

In Photography » My first camera?
May 25, 1:19pm

Take a Hike
I grew up in Los Gatos/Saratoga/Monte Sereno where they all come together off of Quito Road (right along HWY 9) for about 28 years and have some great memories of the area. It is a nice hike but c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Santa Cruz
May 25, 11:40am

Started using in 1984
I have been a "user" since 1984 due to knee problems that ultimately ended my CDT hike. Back then I was using some downhill ski poles with the big plastic breakaway grips. I got a lot o...

In GEAR » Trekking poles-who uses them?
May 25, 8:34am

Kookabay pillow
I would email Bender (Ben) at Kookabay and have him make you a thick pillow to go with the pad. He does custom work but you will have to email him to discuss your needs.

In GEAR » Need help with a sleeping pad!
May 23, 8:34am

Take your time and be patient
I haven't had open heart surgery but I was in a car accident and broke my back in 1991. At the time I was a CAT 2 cyclist and a VERY active backpacker and skier. 5 months laying on my back wa...

In Chaff » Anybody else on here ever have heart surgery ?
May 20, 9:22am

Pre Ordering now available for Katabatic quilts
I just placed my order for the Sawatch quilt in regular length. Shipping should be by June 11th. I deliberated over the two quilts for some time but ultimately pulled the trigger on the heavier q...

In Gear Deals » New Company Manufacturing Down Quilts, Down Balaclavas and Ultralight Biyvs
May 20, 8:28am

Down mats
I have both a Kookabay and an exped 7 and can say that the Kookabay for me is the same, all things being "equal". The great thing about Bender is that he can custom make it so that is is...

In GEAR » JMT Sleeping Pad Advice
May 18, 10:48am

Aching Knees
I used to consider myself an elite cyclist and raced for years at CAT 2...until I hooked up a 25lb trailer, two kids and their associated "travel" gear, and then added a 30lb kid bike to ...

In GEAR » The Shame Of Non-UL Gear (slightly sarcastic)
May 17, 9:11am

First Impressions
I just received my 2010 Swift pack and wanted to share my first impressions and comparisons to the 2006 Starlight that I have been using as my only pack. First, by way of aesthetics, I have to a...

In GEAR » SMD new '10 Swift pack is shipping!
May 11, 10:13am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am