Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Stephen Nelson (stephenn6289) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Sunshine State
About Me I am 18 years old an an avid hiker who just recently converted to the ultralight way of thinking. I hate that I live about 8 hours away from my favorite national park-Great Smoky Mountains National park. I love backpacking with my friends and family and am looking forward to what the future may bring.
CityOcala
StateFlorida
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.xanga.com/stephenn6289
My PDF Gear ListAT in June

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Nelson

Showing 41 - 50 of 112 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Forum » Thread

thanks
I am learning a lot too, thanks. Right now I am leaning toward the jacks r better stealth for it weight, price,usefulness as a jacket/vest, and temperature range for summer. any experience with thi...

In GEAR » are straps necessary on a quilt?
February 21, 7:30pm

Re: Re: are straps necessary on a quilt?
Thanks for the info. Jhaura, would you be willing to sell yours anytime soon? I am very interested, what size do you own?

February 20, 8:46pm

are straps necessary on a quilt?
I have been searching for a lightweight quilt recently and have found a lot of options. For those of you that are using quilts with straps, do you like them and are the necessary? For those of you ...

February 20, 7:40pm

you're in college
you create an ultralight backpacker group on facebook, an online community for coleges and businesses.

In Philosophy & Technique » You know you are an ultralight backpacker if...
February 16, 9:05pm

picture?
what happened to the picture, did someone find it offensive? I thought it was great, he's a crazy man.

In Editor's Roundtable » Podcast: Andrew Skurka in the Nation's Icebox, the Conclusion
February 16, 3:15pm

Re: Lightweight Gear Excluding Smaller Wallets
I am no economics genius, but this is the way I see it. Companies like Bozeman Mountain Works make specialty products on smaller runs than companies like The North Face. This requires that the pric...

In GEAR » Lightweight Gear Excluding Smaller Wallets
February 16, 11:37am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Les Miserables
Florida is by no means the most hostile, but I had an experience during one spring break hike when I had to stop, strip down to my underwear, and pick ticks off my body. 74 was the total count and ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Miserable Environment: The Worst Conditions?
February 14, 10:03pm

Focus
Light enough for me is about focus. I want to be light enough so that even with fully loaded for a six or seven day hike and enough water for a dry camp, I can still enjoy nature without constantly...

In GEAR » How light is light enough? And why?
February 14, 9:50pm

thanks
I signed up for the GG newsletter and appreciate all of your comments. This is an exciting time for gear releases. Thanks everyone.

In GEAR » New Pack from Gossamer Gear?
February 14, 10:15am

true true
in my mind, I was lighter because I am bringing a 10 0z camera.

In GEAR » New Pack from Gossamer Gear?
February 14, 6:38am

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Nelson

Showing 1 - 10 of 17 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Inov8 Flyroc 310
These are designed as trail running shoes, which makes them perfect for lightweight backpacking. They have lots of heel cushion, excellent grip, good fit for me, and are light. Mine are a size 13 and ...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
March 22, 9:59pm

Jacks R Better Fast and very helpful
I had a lot of questions when ordering from Jacks R Better. They promptly answered 2 emails and I called them. Jack himself answered the phone and descibed everything very clearly. I placed my order a...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 27, 8:32pm

Jacks R Better Stealth
Disclaimer:this is merely first impresions, as I have yet to test this quilt in the field yet. I find the quality of this quilt to be great. It is very well designed. I own the long size and it is ...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
February 27, 8:25pm

Gorillapod SLR
an amazingly useful and sturdy tripod for even heavy SLR cameras. It is light (5.8 oz) and very durable. I love it

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
January 25, 12:20pm

Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso
If weight comes before longevity, this may be the one for you. It is a good length for me (6 feet) if I place it from my shoulder to my lower back. It durability is definitley limited.

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
January 25, 12:18pm

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
This is the best light I have used. It is small, light (.4 oz), and more useful than a headlamp. Its handly clip attaches to any hat brim or shirt. It also has some amazing microprocessor features whi...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 25, 12:14pm

McNett AquaMira Water Treatment
This si the lightest and best water treatment I have used yet. It is easy(no pumping), fast (add it and go, but you still have to wait 30 min. to consume), but a little on the expensive side. Over tim...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
January 25, 12:12pm

MSR Whisperlite regular
My rating is $ sensitive here. It really depends on what you are looking for. What I like best about it is is high fuel efficiency and ability to cook for a large number of people (I have done 4). The...

In Stoves - White Gas
January 25, 12:08pm

North Face Beeline 900
it is one of the lightest full covering mummies available. It is very soft, light, and compressable. I like its weight a lot too, just 20.5 oz for a large size. It is a great sleeping bag.

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 25, 12:05pm

Evernew .9 Liter pot
Very good pot, with some minor imperfections. I like that it is light and durable. but the handle insulator tend to burn up if you don't watch them and the lid is rather heavy. other than that it ...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 25, 12:02pm