Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Martin Rye (rye1966) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale UK
About Me I work with the homeless in the East of England. Scotland is my main destination to go backpacking. I am a backpacker, nothing more.
CountryUK
My Website URLhttps://martinrye.wordpress.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Martin Rye

Showing 41 - 50 of 299 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...30

Forum » Thread

MLD Trailstar. The most versatile shelter
For John

In GEAR » MLD Trailstar. The most versatile shelter?
October 09, 3:34pm

Netting option for Trailstar Shelter
Sean at http://oookworks.com/ has a new mesh inner for the Trailstar. Photo on the link on the righthand side. He made me a custom inner for the Solomid recently that is much better than the old ...

In GEAR » Netting option for Trailstar Shelter?
October 09, 3:25pm

MLD Trailstar
The Trailstar has a growing reputation in the UK. It is not hard to pitch. I have not found it hard to get it tight to the ground either. Why its so good is the versatile pitch options and its a...

In GEAR » MLD Trailstar. The most versatile shelter?
October 09, 3:20pm

Smartphone Navigation
This is an insightful article. I would point people to this as well as Steve wrote a great bit about using smart phones for navigation recently http://www.stevenhorner.com/?p=1465 Anything that ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Smartphone Navigation
July 27, 3:02pm

Ultra 2
Interesting comments. Having never used a cuben shelter I would not know or comment on the effects of weather on them. Yuki comments like yours are noted by Terra Nova. One thing I found out on m...

In GEAR » Terra Nova Ultra 2 two man tent
July 13, 1:51pm

Terra Nova Ultra 2 two man tent
I had a look recently at Terra Nova's new two man 920g the Ultra 2. Info on my blog at: http://summitandvalley.blogspot.com/2011/07/terra-nova-day-out-part-two.html Also they are doing a rang...

In GEAR » Terra Nova Ultra 2 two man tent
July 13, 5:41am

Re: Ultra
I thought the most popular marathon event only insisted on a tent with a sewn in ground sheet Mike?. So modding the fast packer option on the Ultra 1 would give a very light tent with outer and on...

In Editor's Roundtable » Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review
June 24, 2:18pm

Re: Monday the 23rd
Matt the 23rd was a day I wont forget in a long time. I was walking across Scotland on the TGO Challenge at the same time you did your walk further North. I got a bit worried when trees starte...

In Post-Trip Reports » 8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail
June 10, 12:18am

Re: Scotland
Monday the 23rd May was a terrible day to be walking in Scotland Matt. You did well to do the miles you did. Great report and reflection on kit. Hope next time you visit you can get up high on ...

In Post-Trip Reports » 8 Days of Wrath on the Cape Wrath Trail
June 09, 12:32pm

Ground sheet with a bivy?
I use a custom made silnylon 133g ground sheet with my Trailstar and bivy. It protects my bivy from puncturing and gives my a half the floor area sized dry zone to spread kit around and keep it dr...

In GEAR » Ground sheet with a bivy?
March 05, 1:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Martin Rye

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Haglofs LIM55 LIM55
The LIM55 is a good pack with a claimed weight of 1075G - on my scales it tips in at 1092. The pack has aluminium 6005 - T6 bar as a frame with perforated foam for comfort and padding on the back. It...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
July 15, 6:36am

The Backpacker's Handbook by Chris Townsend
As backpacking is about getting out in to the wilderness and not gear the book is superb. Some hike light and some heavy. Chris caters for each. It helps the beginner steering them to make good inf...

In Books and Media
June 25, 4:16pm

Inov8 RocLite 318 GTX
Used these on my last backpack for a week in Scotland. Poor paths and often no paths, yet comfort all the way. Only concern would be to hot in summer due to the lining. I had no heel lift and total...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 11, 11:19am

Alpkit CarbonLite
A while back I gave these poles 5 out 5. A year on they are not used. Poor quality control is an issue. The handles slip of and the tips were fast and the baskets fall of. Under a year is not acce...

In Trekking Poles
June 09, 1:44pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It’s a great pad, no leaks, no problems. It’s given me comfort all over the hills and dales. As for the view it’s on the heavy side trust me it feels lighter to have one of these in your pack after ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 19, 5:04pm

Terra Nova Laser
Nice to see some one appreciating this tent more than the Laser competition. I bought this to replace my Hilleberg Akto as I was fed up of being cramped do to poor head room. I love the Laser and it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 05, 11:54am

Gregory G pack
I bought this pack for a two week coast to coast rout across Scotland (TGO 07) I needed a light pack that was stable as I intended to do a few summits via ridges etc. The good points where comfort at...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 11, 4:22pm

Hilleberg Akto
I used an Akto for three years. Great tent though strong wind does blow the sides in. Not one for tall people like me at 6ft 2. You won’t be able to sit up and the sloping sides get annoying after ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
December 09, 4:59pm