BPL Community Profile

Roleigh Martin (marti124) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
About Me Formerly from MN and NY, now in Reno, NV, I have been hiking every summer in the High Sierra since 2000. From 2000-2007, we did the High Sierra Trail (HST). Been doing the John Muir Trail since then, every year. I am the lead moderator for the JohnMuirTrail@YahooGroups.com for 2011-2013. I organized groups (without charge) for the JMT, 2008-2011 for the hike I participated in (from 5 to 8 people). I'm doing a JMT 2014 group hike again. See my Google Profile for more and top links on a variety of topics (click on "My Website URL above").
CityReno
StateNV
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttps://plus.google.com/+RoleighMartin/about
My PDF Gear ListMy gear list as of 4/3/2010

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roleigh Martin

Showing 41 - 50 of 1034 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...104

Forum » Thread

Another 150 mile alternative to the JMT -- A Lasso HST Hike
This is a great thread. A resupply near the midpoint is possible using Sequoia Kings Pack Train on the JMT at the Kearsarge Pass junction. They only require a 1/2 day to get to that point so the ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Big SEKI Loop (as an alternative to the JMT)
February 23, 10:33pm

Dudadiesel now has .5 micron filters
http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=PTFEP3S Polyester PTFE Coated Filter Bag, 0.5 Micron • Size#3, with hanging strap • 8" Length, 4" Diameter • PTFE Coated to 0.5 Mi...

In GEAR » ultralight water prefilter
November 17, 11:49pm

Re: Support the Muir Trail Kickstarter Effort?
I've done the JMT every summer now for 5 years straight. Meeting people on the trail I find part of the fun of the hike, you meet the most wonderful people. I do not find it crowded at all. ...

In On the Web » Support the Muir Trail Kickstarter Effort
September 08, 9:46pm

Vote this weekend on the John Muir Trail Film
The Muir Project is up for a voter-supported contest, film project of the week (against a handful of others). They're close to first place -- they need more Yes votes. Go here: http://ww...

September 08, 9:22pm

Support the Muir Trail Kickstarter Effort (21 days left)
There is still a strong need for more people to support this amazing hiking film. So far this is their progress: 489 Backers $51,800 pledged of $78,100 goal 21 days to go Back This Projec...

September 08, 2:26pm

Muir Project selected by IndieWire as project of the day
http://www.indiewire.com/article/project-of-the-day-a-team-hikes-the-john-muir-trail Link. Muir Project selected by IndieWire as project of the day I recommend fans of the JMT or the High S...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Muir Project on Kickstarter
September 04, 9:35pm

Re: Ever get a bruised knee bone from doing a long hike?
Bob, your wise therapist has great advice. My problem was that I thought my knee was pre-injury healed, it took 17 days on the JMT to realize it wasn't and only then when it was doing greater ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Ever get a bruised knee bone from doing a long hike?
September 01, 10:40pm

I think the problem was (a) my left knee was not fully healed to pre-injury (July 2 2011) state of health and (b) because of "a", not taking 2 days to do the long downhill descents.

September 01, 1:23pm

Bob, I forgot to answer your question. My base load was 20 lbs (way too much, it should have been 16 lbs). With food and water, typical weight was about 26 lbs. Base included the 2 lb 5 oz beari...

September 01, 12:45pm

Re: The Muir Project on Kickstarter
Good idea for the bump. We need to keep this in JMT-fan's mind, because they need to raise the remainder of the needed money in the next 30 days. This is really worth supporting. I donated a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Muir Project on Kickstarter
August 28, 3:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Roleigh Martin

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wilderness Press John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America’s Most Famous Trail, 5th Edition
Review of John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America’s Most Famous Trail, 5th Edition, by Elizabeth Wenk, Wilderness Press, 2014, 296 pages. Reviewed by Roleigh Martin, Lead Moderator: Jo...

In Books and Media
June 09, 8:47am

zpacks Company
I have bought many items from Zpacks, including some new items he started carrying as a result of my orders, such as the large size pack cover; the 1000 cu inch zero pack; and he provided a customized...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 16, 10:49pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
Thanks to these reviews mentioning the problems and the recall issue, I called MSR up and found out I had a problem element and I was mailed a replacement. I won't be able to determine how good i...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
March 25, 2:02pm

Leukotape P Sports Tape
Andrew Skurka spoke in Minneapolis today at the Outdoor Expo and I took down his notes on foot care and found some links, including this thread. He recommends shoes that keep your feet cool (he u...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
April 26, 11:31pm

Bear Boxer 101 Contender
Can you please provide a link for the Bear Boxer 101 Contender? Thank you. Never mind -- I found the link, I presume it is here: http://www.bareboxer.com/products.htm

In Miscellaneous Products
May 23, 6:43pm