BPL Community Profile

Carl Zimmerman (CarlZ993) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Carl Zimmerman hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Avid lightweight backpacker and Adult Leader with a Boy Scout Venture Crew.
CityAustin
StateTX

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Carl Zimmerman

Showing 41 - 50 of 71 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forum » Thread

Resupply on JMT
In my 2004 JMT hike, I resupplied @ TM, Reds Meadows, & MTR. My itinerary was longer (17 days). I was pretty light with my food until I got to MTR. Had 9 days of food then. Couldn't qui...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT logistics questions.
January 24, 9:25pm

Vest or Jacket
I'd say 'Jacket.' One late July morning @ Garnet Lake, my wife rinsed out her bandana and hung it over a bush to dry. 5 min later, it was frozen stiff when she picked it up.

In GEAR » Vest or coat for JMT hike
January 14, 11:19am

Favorite camps
Between the boys shooting their hats & bandanas, branding their hats & GoreTex boots (as well as other equipment), tying their boots together and tossing them onto the entrance gateway (&am...

In Philmont » Which Camps/Programs did you enjoy the most?
January 13, 7:28pm

AT List
Pretty light. A couple of observations: 1. I'd go a lighter version of Long Underwear 2. I'd carry more water carrying options than two, 1-L bottles. Add a 2-L platypus for camp water...

In Gear Lists » My 2012 AT Thru Hike List
January 13, 12:51pm

Re: Re: .308 rifles
I recall the Rangers saying that Philmont (at Sawmill) was the only place where Scouts could shoot .308s. I don't recall the reason why they could when others couldn't.

January 12, 2:33pm

Philmont Stove
I've used Whisperlite Simmerlite on three different Philmont Treks (one was a Cavalcade). No problems with it. Our Crew will probably make the cut for a 2013 trek. We're planning to use ...

In Philmont » Stoves at Philmont
January 12, 2:27pm

Most Popular Camp
I did two summer hiking treks @ Philmont (07 & 08). Both of them went thru Sawmill and the .308 rifle shooting range. On both treks, the boys liked that one the best. The loaded their own bu...

January 11, 4:38pm

Pounds & Ounces
how long is a cotton-pickin' minute ? It depends if it's Metric or 'Merican. :)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A Questions Regarding Pounds and Ounces
January 09, 2:22pm

Where to go?
I'll piggy-back on some other comments (since you live in the NW): Drive over to Glacier Nat'l Park and do the Northern Circuit. Drive down thru Yellowstone and spend a day or two camping...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Three weeks + - where would you go?
January 09, 2:16pm

Strangest sighting?
A trail along Lake Tahoe shoreline about 1/2 M from trail head parking: SCUBA diver wearing a dry suit wearing a re-breather apparatus. He was headed back to his car after some diving.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What is the strangest thing you ever saw in the backcountry?
January 06, 9:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Carl Zimmerman

Carl Zimmerman has posted no reviews.