BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3971 - 3980 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 ...539

Forum » Thread

Re: Does tarp + bivy actually save all that much weight?
I have been using a plain tarp for decades. I have tried many other options, and just keep going back to a larger tarp (no bivy needed). Currently I am using a cuben Nano Tarp kit and a GG polycro ...

In GEAR » Does tarp + bivy actually save all that much over a tent?
March 02, 12:00am

Re: taxes
Government is the US is a runaway train soon to become a train wreck. Period. How out of hand is it? Well I keep seeing posts about corporate lobbying. I hate lobbying by anyone. Here is the mos...

In Chaff » Only 30% of Americans Hold a Passport
March 01, 11:23pm

Re: Who gets out more, the UL or the BC camper?
Okay, Here are the answers you all seek... Some BC people get out a lot. Some BC people get out fairly often. Some BC people get once in a while. Some UL people get out a lot. Some UL p...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Who gets out more, the UL or the BC camper?
March 01, 10:41pm

Re: Lowa Boots
Best boots I ever owned is a pair of Lowa Banffs. And they they haven't seen a trail or daylight in several years. Trail runners have replaced them for good.

In GEAR » Lowa Boots
February 28, 10:25pm

Re: What It's Like for Us Non-White Hiker's
food for thought... Something that really bothers me is the "tribal mentality." That is, we (Americans at least), always want to label someone outside of our "tribe." And unt...

In On the Web » What It's Like for Us Non-White Hiker's
February 28, 1:06am

Re: Back to OP
Each person pays the same percentage of their income. Or better yet, least wealthy 10%, middle income 30% (including SS), wealthy people 40%, ultra wealthy 50% - or something like that ------...

In Chaff » Republican's attack on wilderness. Unconscionable!
February 28, 12:29am

Re: Absaroka madness
Sounds like a McHale quote. I like it. :) Sometimes I think we get too mesmerized by spreadsheets.

In Chaff » Absaroka madness
February 28, 12:08am

Re: Drinking Water for Hiking: Myths and Facts
Like so many things in life, a lot of this varies by individual. I drink a lot less than many people, and pretty much have a cast iron stomach. My wife on the other hand needs to drink much more wa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Drinking Water for Hiking: Myths and Facts
February 23, 1:49am

Re: Boots boots boots? help!
I am going with the trail runner crowd here. I hiked in top of the line leather boots for 40 years. I will never go back. You actually are more agile and sure footed in tricky terrain with light sh...

In GEAR » Boots boots boots? help!
February 23, 1:43am

re:
There are a couple important things about this trip... Timing: Too late in the spring and it is very hot in the desert sections. Too early in the spring and snow is a problem. Do it in the fall ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Skyline Trail – PCT – Jo Pond Loop
February 23, 1:30am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am