Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3951 - 3960 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 ...580

Forum » Thread

So Cal BPLers -- 3rd annual San Jacinto Loop: 1st Permit Received
Got the State Wilderness permit. The Federal should be in next week. That one is easy, since we will be hiking through the Federal Wilderness, but sleeping outside of its boundary.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers -- 3rd annual San Jacinto Loop
April 17, 11:50pm

Re: What to use for the floor of a bug bivy?
Make it out of anything and use Suluk46's 1/8" X 25" X 74 Padded Ground Sheet foam pad as your ground sheet. This is what I often do. I think it weighs 2 oz or so. If you need more cu...

In Make Your Own Gear » What to use for the floor of a bug bivy?
April 17, 11:18pm

Re: Re: Insurance for upcoming thru-hike?
Weird! Really weird! Another Americanism? Our Health Funds and our medical system covers the whole nation. The idea of one covering only part of the country seems ridiculous to me. But what woul...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Insurance for upcoming thru-hike?
April 17, 11:14pm

Re: Insurance for upcoming thru-hike?
Andrew check Blue Cross. I know that when my kids got out of college (and no longer covered by my company), Blue Cross had special plans for young adults.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Insurance for upcoming thru-hike?
April 17, 11:10pm

Re: Carrying ingredients vs. pre-packed meals
David, It would depend on the length of the trip. Might get boring!! One 6 month trip I pretty much ate trout, rice, and instant oatmeal. Also was hard to keep my weight up... It was several...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Carrying ingredients vs. pre-packed meals
April 17, 11:03pm

Re: Walker's not finished yet....
"Scott Walker is following the lead of Michigan, where he'll be able to dissolve local governments at his whim. This is not democracy." At this point, the claims are unsubstantiate...

In Chaff » The Wisconsin petri dish
April 17, 10:57pm

Re: Hypocrite
So are you saying that she was not entitled to the money the government took from her? To quote her regarding social security: "It is obvious, in such cases, that a man receives his own ...

In Chaff » It's only a movie
April 17, 10:25pm

Re: It's only a movie
So is this a review of the movie? To understand Rand, you really have to read her non-fiction, along with the 3 well known novels. Rand considered Nietzsche a mystic and an irrationalist. She...

In Chaff » It's only a movie
April 17, 8:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Rescue Teams Slam Techno Idiots
So Darwin was right?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rescue Teams Slam Techno Idiots
April 15, 5:35pm

Re: Re: Post-hike rituals
I have been known to skip beer and cheeseburgers in favor of a Venti Caramel Frappacunio, but only when the trail head is close to home; where beer is available. Actually I am not a big beer drinke...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post-hike rituals
April 15, 2:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am