Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3921 - 3930 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: "continue to raise taxes?"
Don't forget that Federal income taxes are not the only taxes we pay. When I was a kid, sales taxes in Calif were 5%. Some cities are now over 10%. Food in restaurants used to be non-taxed, tod...

In Chaff » Wake Up Call for America !?!
April 19, 9:50am

Re: Re: Pacific Crest Trail Association hiring

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pacific Crest Trail Association hiring
April 19, 1:07am

Saw a great bumper sticker today...
"Elephants and Asses have conned the masses"

In Chaff » Wake Up Call for America !?!
April 19, 12:48am

Re: Noob to Lightweight needs help!
Matti, Some of that gear looks kinda heavy. The majority here on BPL are in the US, and needs/gear availability down under may differ. But we several Aussies were with a wealth of knowledge. One...

In GEAR » Noob to Lightweight needs help!
April 19, 12:23am

Re: river crossing technique
Bob, In Calif raft + motor = regulations. No motor, no regs. I solo a lot and am not risk adverse. Water crossings and packs are an exception. Since you already know flow is higher than norma...

In Philosophy & Technique » river crossing technique
April 19, 12:09am

Re: How to avoid falling trees?
Hike only in deserts... Actually it always crosses my mind when setting up near trees. Just be vigilant. Probably more to be concerned about when driving to and from the trailhead.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to avoid falling trees?
April 18, 11:15pm

Re: Tarp vs. Tent weights
Good question. Tarps generally take up less space when packed. A tarp weighs less (mine is ~ 5 oz). Don't own an inner net. I don't use if unless the weather threatens. Usually I can look o...

In GEAR » Tarp vs. Tent weights
April 18, 11:07pm

Re: Re: It's only a movie
Andrew, It is just a message board, and I usually type while on conference calls. Just as in "lit crit" I do not indulge in anything heavy, just check my gear list. :)

In Chaff » It's only a movie
April 18, 10:15pm

Re: Where do you splurge?
The camera... boy can those suck up time on the trail and get in the way. In the past I rarely brought one, but now I wished I had pictures of some trips!! Even when I bring one I take very few pic...

In GEAR » Where do you splurge?
April 18, 6:43pm

Re: I was commenting more on
"The number of books on the list that inherently contradict each other while also offering fairly dogmatic and/or didactic directions for how to live life--several in particular espouse ideolo...

In Chaff » It's only a movie
April 18, 6:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am