BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3921 - 3930 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: What do you do for Lunch?
This is easy for me, as I normally do not eat lunch during the day when at home/working. I tend to eat a small snack once in a while. So I do the same when hiking. The exception for when working...

In GEAR » What do you do for Lunch?
March 07, 10:30am

Re: Sunglasses
In 3 season hiking I use Maui Jim Ho'okipa Readers Polarized Sunglasses, which are bifocals with maginfied readers on the bottom. This way I do not need to bring my regular glasses for reading....

In GEAR » Sunglasses
March 07, 10:23am

Re: Medical Stuff and Insurance (In case Sh#t happens)
"The thing I don't understand about insurance is: It's there IN CASE something happens right?.. So why don't we get our money back when nothing happens?" Because when somet...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Health/Medical Issues Forum
March 06, 9:52pm

Re: Bivy as bag liner
Piper, With a 8' X 10' tarp you really don't need a bivy. However is you are using a 5' X 8' poncho/tarp, the bivy is very much needed in bad weather. Also the poncho/tarp do...

In Multiple Use Gear » Bivy as bag liner
March 06, 5:59pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Prices
I have actually seen worse sanitary conditions in the US. The good thing about a cage is that you can lock your belongings! I am not making fun of it. The idea of living in a cage is what upsets mo...

In Chaff » Buying Chinese Goods
March 06, 2:18pm

Re: "McHale Packs -- Observations & Comments"
David, That was yesterday, I already got busted! :)

In GEAR » McHale Packs -- Observations & Comments
March 06, 2:13pm

Re: Re: Prices
Ken, We have similar housing in the US too. When I was young a small crappy apartment close to my job cost $80 - $100 per month, which I could not afford. I commuted to work on a bicycle, wh...

March 06, 2:09pm

Trains, planes and buses...
"China, for example, imported one high-speed train set each from Japan and Germany -- then blatantly copied them and are now manufacturing their own." And does this surprise us? Okay C...

March 06, 1:39pm

Re: Prices
"I read recently in the WSJ? that the average Chinese worker earns $6000 a year." Really hard to make any sense out of comparing to the US, as it costs a lot less to live in China and ...

March 06, 1:34pm

Re: Nick's New McHale !
Yes, the top pad is removable. The lower lumbar pad is not. I can tell you it is great to sit on in snow. Other than that I am not one to fiddle with gear or comfort when hiking. Logs and boulders ...

In GEAR » McHale Packs -- Observations & Comments
March 06, 1:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am