Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3911 - 3920 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: Gossamer Gear Murmur
Bob, I have done around 20lbs several times with a Spinnaker Murmur. Held up. I am not so sure about the silnylon and the strap attachment to the pack. I found for long miles there was just too ...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear Murmur
April 21, 11:14am

Re: Re: I'm in the other direction
I remember reading Colin Fletcher years ago on mileage. He said that on flat ground he averaged about 3 miles per hour, including a 10 minute break. Also said he generally did about 2 mph on trails...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New to this - how fast can one backpack (miles/day)?
April 20, 11:32pm

Re: CCF Pad?
Could probably be used for splints or hat in an emergency. Hadn't thought about it but we could probably come up with a lot more ideas.

In GEAR » What Item(s) Optimize the Best of Gear Convergence?
April 20, 11:23pm

Re: New ultralight hiking shoes. Not sure they are for me.
That is a great photoshop work, or George is now walking barefoot :)

In GEAR » New ultralight hiking shoes. Not sure they are for me.
April 20, 4:31pm

Re: What Item(s) Optimize the Best of Gear Convergence?
I sort of get what you are going. Spork... I think this is hype. For me a spoon works just as well. If I could use chopsticks, they would even be lighter. Swiss Army knife... my razor blade d...

In GEAR » What Item(s) Optimize the Best of Gear Convergence?
April 20, 1:09pm

Re: Roger...
I can tell from unscientific experience that the OP was probably cold from insufficient padding. He also stated that his face was in the bag. That probably adds a liter of vapor inside the bag whic...

In GEAR » Moisture in Caribou MF
April 20, 11:14am

Re: Railriders Bone Flats pants vs. BPL Thorofares-- first impressions
I have a pair of the eco-mesh pants. They only have the mesh on the out side, and weigh 2 oz more that the bone flats. You can zip up the side panels when it gets windy, which is very convenient wh...

In GEAR » Railriders Bone Flats pants vs. BPL Thorofares-- first impressions
April 20, 10:24am

Re: Backpacking Light will be irrelevant!
Prosthetics are outrageous, I can't imagine what eLegs cost. --------- Berkeley Bionics reveals eLEGS exoskeleton, aims to help paraplegics walk in 2011 Update: We just got to see the eL...

In Chaff » Backpacking Light will be irrelevant!
April 19, 4:36pm

Re: sometimes government is good for a boom it can be argued
We shall never know... it is the "what if" scenario. A lot of historians and economists will argue the the government actually prolonged the depression, with policies. Others say that tod...

In Chaff » Wake Up Call for America !?!
April 19, 1:50pm

Re: Shelter
Probably won't be needed. But we will keep an eye on the weather forecast prior to the trip.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal BPLers -- 3rd annual San Jacinto Loop
April 19, 10:18am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am