BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3911 - 3920 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: "Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the lightest of them all?"
It is obvious that there is often evangelical zeal to be UL or SUL here on BPL. Sometimes it gets down to "the right way" only. Often members will post questions, seeking help or input, a...

In GEAR » "Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the lightest of them all?"
January 22, 11:55am

Re: Help Me! I need a 1 person shelter
You are just going to do a lot of research, here on BPL and other sites. I prefer a tarp, and bugs just don't seem to bother me. If they did, I would get a net, or use my Six Moon's Wild Oa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Help Me! I need a 1 person shelter
January 21, 12:46pm

Re: "BPL for Trail Running?"
I think REI also has a running-specific jacket made from eVent. I have no experience with this item.

In GEAR » BPL for Trail Running?
January 21, 12:27pm

Re: More, a lot more, on VFFs and Minimal Footwear
Craig, Good analysis. And as is frequently shown here on BPL, there is no piece of perfect gear. You have to determine your needs and find the piece, which fulfills as many of the attributes you...

In Philosophy & Technique » More, a lot more, on VFFs and Minimal Footwear.
January 21, 9:51am

Re: Re: Putting the Kettle on
Rog, Here is a good one for you (ARkStorm). http://tinyurl.com/4sqe6pp Public funded science at its best. Read the section of the 1861-62 storm, "The flooding was so bad it reduced taxab...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
January 20, 5:44pm

Re: I understand..... but.
Justin, You do not have to state you are sorry that you like technology. It works for you, and that is all you need to be concerned with. And I don't know how to run the cables :) seems lik...

January 20, 5:29pm

Re: Big, Heavy Packs
I am not a serious backpacker. Oh, I have done a lot of it, some short trips and some long trips. I only do it because it makes me happy. I do it for my own pleasure. And why should we question ...

In GEAR » Big, Heavy Packs
January 20, 5:22pm

Re: Trail Running
Craig, Nice post. It comes down to why a person runs. If one aspires to be a competitive runner (there are many categories), then yes technology helps because most competitive runners set goals,...

January 20, 3:51pm

Re: Best UL Hauler Under 2.5 pounds and $250
"Anyway, for 40lb and above I would consider a Gregory Baltoro. This is a traditional pack but has an internal frame. For that load range (30-50#), I consider it to be amung the most comfortab...

In GEAR » Best UL Hauler Under 2.5 pounds and $200
January 19, 1:53pm

GPS
Some thoughts... My son who is a post collegiate distance runner never uses a GPS. There are certain routes that he does know the mileage. Keep in mind his races are 1500m - 10K. But the princip...

January 19, 1:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am