BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3901 - 3910 of 5401 | Page: 1 ...382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 ...541

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Wealth?
"Facts or data to support it? You will be surprised with a little research." I would be surprised. But I noticed you didn't reference any objective studies either. Common sense a...

In Chaff » Buying Chinese Goods
March 10, 11:18pm

Re: Why so fast?
With kids, slow is good. Today I can hike faster and further with less effort than when I was young. Fast is not important, it just happens because it is easier. Of course there are days when I MUS...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why so fast?
March 10, 10:04pm

Re: Sierra High Route Gear List
Andrew, On a 3 week trip there is no way you can forecast the weather. I would do a historical search and get a sleep system for the worst case scenario, which could include a couple days stuck ...

In Gear Lists » Sierra High Route Gear List
March 10, 9:57pm

Re: a 20 year reveiw of my gear
Kevin, $472 over 20 years = $23.60 per year. Pretty darned cheap. I bet a family of 4 could not do a day at Disneyland for $472. Also, ask you wife how much money she has spent on shoes over the...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » a 20 year reveiw of my gear
March 10, 9:50pm

Back to the original post
We started our with trade imbalances and sweat shops. We can only blame the US for the imbalance. We created it. Ultimately the consumers in the US caused it, because they are the ones who creat...

March 10, 9:43pm

Wealth?
@ Brian "Of course this the old boot strap myth. Most people with wealth were born into well off if not wealthy homes. The amount who started with nothing is minuscule." Facts or ...

March 10, 9:34pm

@ Ken
"The end results speak volumes of how we got through things" So can we assume that you mean "the end justifies the means? Also, I think that it is perfectly fine if anyone choo...

March 10, 9:29pm

Re: Re: Re: Personal Responsibility and the shifting of blame
"Don't worry about the sweatshops too much. China and Japan hold over 41% of the USA foreign debt. Soon "cheap Chinese goods" will be made in the USA..." Nah, don't w...

March 10, 9:16pm

Re: Wizard of Oz
"The only thing that bugs me is any adantage the big banks have, like getting money cheap from the fed and lending it out for more." Agree. So check your premise. What is the root caus...

March 10, 9:12pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Never accepted government benefits?
"What if that wrong happens to be a massive toxic spill into a waterway that could have been prevented by a regulatory system that includes regular inspections or, worse yet, a nuclear meltdow...

March 10, 9:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am