BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 391 - 400 of 671 | Page: 1 ...31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: R2 vs Nanopuff
I have a down sweater so I have the colder end of the spectrum covered. I got the Nano Puff to cover the 45-60 degree evenings/mornings. Plus I liked the smooth fabric that allowed easier layerin...

In GEAR » R2 vs Nanopuff
June 12, 7:31pm

R2 vs Nanopuff
Interested in opinions of a comparison between the Patagonia R2 vs Nanopuff. I have the Nanopuff (bought on sale from Spring) but have found that it's lack of breathability (out of necessity b...

In GEAR » R2 vs Nanopuff
June 12, 5:54pm

Re: Re: Potential for cross contamination
Those are very good points. The only way to be absolutely certain there isn't cross contamination is to wash your hands before opening/closing the Opsak. Truth be told there are likely mild s...

In GEAR » Opsak test
June 12, 1:05pm

Re: Goose Creek Loop
Beautiful photos. On this trip you have the attitude that I am working to develop on my backpack trips. They should be fun without the grind of trying to "run". There is too much beaut...

In Post-Trip Reports » Goose Creek Loop
June 11, 9:12am

Re: Spinnaker cloth...
Make a Tarp. Water Resistance of Spinnaker is discussed here http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31094

In Make Your Own Gear » Spinnaker cloth...
June 10, 8:29am

Re: Re: 1 down jacket or rain jacket and vest?
For summer a down vest paired with a wind shirt or light rain jacket like the GoLite Tumalo and you have a very versatile setup. The rain jacket/wind shirt over a down vest will keep you comfortab...

In GEAR » 1 down jacket or rain jacket and vest?
June 09, 11:30am

Re: Re: No Replies :(
Just happened to see this thread on 14ers.com you may want to look at http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35425

In Pre-Trip Planning » Suggested hikes in the gore range/Eagles Nest area? Summits, alpine, lakes, and fishing!
June 05, 2:44pm

Re: My approach
In the OP you didn't mention what your shelter is. I use a 40 degree quilt. If I was expecting 30F (-1C) temps my normal sleep system would include 1] Ultralight Bivy (cuts wind, probabl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleep systems with clothes
June 05, 2:28pm

Re: No Replies :(
I would suggest posting something on 14ers.com as well. I suspect you will get a lot more feedback on that site particularly when it comes to peak bagging and that site is Colorado focused and so ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Suggested hikes in the gore range/Eagles Nest area? Summits, alpine, lakes, and fishing!
June 05, 11:15am

Lunges and Squats
I think you can get a more intense workout with a variety Lunges and Squats. I also think doing core work also goes a long way towards giving you the proper support/strength in your ab/low back th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Training on a treadmill
June 04, 11:55am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm