Jul - Dolly Sods - weekender - 18
Aug - AT in PA with a friend - 16 miles
Sept - AT Rt40 - Raven Rock overnighter - 28 miles

2013 trips:

Aug - Dolly Sods - weekender with friend - 12 miles
CityPhiladelphia
StatePA
My Website URLhttp://asciibaron.dyndns.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven Hanlon

Showing 391 - 400 of 410 | Page: 1 ...22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Forum » Thread

whoa.
i read this entire thread and feel like i've carried a 50 pound pack up Mt. Whitney. is there a lightweight way to read these threads ;) -Steve

In GEAR » Mystery Ranch Backpacks equals Dana Design quality?
July 24, 1:27pm

safety and UL
for a recent 3 days of solid backpacking, my pack weighed in at (drum roll please) 24lbs total - food, water, shelter, jet pack, and laser gun. i had some things i never needed but lugged around...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Expert Answers How Safe is Ultralight Hiking?
July 20, 2:19pm

out of stock?! why me...
whenever i'm ready to buy something from the BPL gearshop, they are out of stock. i tried to buy some Klear Water yesterday, but the electricity went out for a few hours. today i check and it's o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » why me...
July 19, 7:46pm

when?
sweet picture. my mother took us all over the place hiking. my poor dad got to play pack mule once the 4 kids were finished carrying whatever crap me just had to bring along. good memories o...

In Philosophy & Technique » When Did You Begin UL?
July 19, 6:32pm

solo trips
after hiking only with groups on 6 trips in the past 8 months i noticed something very unsettling on my most recent trip - a solo trip. i have no idea why, but i really had a hard time not being...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Solo or No Go
July 19, 2:25pm

water weight gain / drying times
a few months ago i was thinking about this subject. my boots were soaked and it was humid outside. i devised a rather interesting approach to speeding up the drying time. once in camp, i rem...

In Editor's Roundtable » Water Weight Gain and Drying Characteristics of Lightweight Hiking Shoes after Submersion
June 16, 1:29pm

rain gear for cycling
the trail is a mixture of gravel, rocks, and mud along the C&O and on the former WM grade, it's gravel, mud, rocks, pavement, and wood. there are several tunnels in PA you have to go over, so you...

In GEAR » Rain Gear
May 12, 7:10am

WX alert enabled radio
being into ham radio, i have a rather heavy (14oz) handheld radio that enables me to get help if needed. i usually take it with me on the AT as there are a good number of repeaters that are easily...

In GEAR » lightweight am/fm radio
May 11, 7:28am

decantur
during the second night at Dolly Sods, i almost used a water bottle i found on the trail, but i decided it was too small and it wasn't raining so i could manage to visit a lovely tree... -steve

In GEAR » Big Agnes Sarvis SL1 eVENT - first impressions
May 10, 9:28pm

Big Agnes Sarvis SL1 eVENT - first impressions
since purchasing this tent at the beginning of April, it has been used on 2 trips. the first one was a very wet weekend in Dolly Sods, WV and the second was a cold overnight on the AT in the north...

In GEAR » Big Agnes Sarvis SL1 eVENT - first impressions
May 10, 2:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Steven Hanlon

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Precip Jacket Mens
i picked up my Marmot Precip in 2005 from REI for $42.83 - i figured i couldn't go wrong at that price. if it didn't work well for backpacking, i could wear it as a casual jacket. it has b...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 11, 8:13am

McHale 0-Sarc UL
I have the SARC Chasm version and would recommend this pack to anyone who has suffered with ill fitting mass produced packs. It's a tad on the heavy side, but for me, that's not a problem sin...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 27, 5:34pm