BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 391 - 400 of 430 | Page: 1 ...24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Forum » Thread

Mike
Thanks for the fantastic info on your new MB spiral. Is that the Big Agnes Flycreek 1 in the picture? I've been wanting to see a bag in one. REI can't keep them in stock for me to see on...

In GEAR » Montbell Super Spiral
June 24, 3:00pm

Cotton....YES
I've been fortunate enough to travel to 14 African countries with over a total of 1 year there. It can get miserably hot and all I wear is cotton. I've tried the breathable polyster/nylon...

In GEAR » Cotton shirt in summer
June 24, 10:50am

How about a Vest?
It sounds like a vest would be perfect for what you're after. Find one with a 30 denier fabric. That should be durable enough.

In GEAR » Clothing experts
June 22, 9:58am

REI Packs Don't Need a Pad
I've tried both these packs on and they have a pad already.

In GEAR » Identify packs that require sleeping pads as frames
June 22, 8:24am

Weight of Booties
I was incorrect in my previous weight guess. I put a pair of the vinyl bottom Tyvek booties on my scale last night and a pair wieghs 1.35 ounces.

In GEAR » Newbies First Weekend Out
June 22, 8:06am

Tyvek Booties
Dont W, Yes...I bought them at USplastics.com. They only cost around $2.50/pair. Here's what they call them, Tyvek® Boot Cover With Vinyl Sole The sole definately was more thick tha...

June 21, 1:02pm

Newbies First Weekend Out
Actually I've been camping for 30 years, but this is my first time out with light weight gear. I was amazed how I couln't feel it on my back. I must've has 1/3 the weight I normally di...

June 21, 11:25am

Site for your Reading
Eric, REI has a great site that explains your question. I'm sure this will help. It compares many products. http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/rainwear+how+it+works.html#breathe

In GEAR » Eddie Bauer WPB laminate??
June 21, 10:36am

Bummer - it's full
I just took a look and the REI class is full for tonight. Good job Sarah for attracting so much attention to outdoor cooking. I'm bummed I didn't see this earlier. I had no idea you were...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Seattle Area REI Trail Cooking Classes
June 17, 11:25am

2.5 oz per pair
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=765&CFID=29170&CFTOKEN=115 Try out the Integral Design eVent Shorty Gaiters.

In GEAR » lightest ankle gaiters.. from oven bags?
June 15, 12:59pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am