BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 391 - 400 of 446 | Page: 1 ...26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Forum » Thread

Thanks Marc
Wow...THANKS for answering my question so quickly. I'm hoping you have a succesful trial of the cuben solo. I saw on Ryan Jordan's site what you made for him and he talked highly of that ...

In GEAR » Lightheart Solo Tent
July 19, 3:51pm

Cuben Solo Lightheart
I haven't heard or seen much about the cuben solo lightheart. It sounds like the perfect tent. What happened to it???

In GEAR » Lightheart Solo Tent
July 19, 2:55pm

A Little Confused
Why did you pick up the Double Rainbow?....it sounds like you really like Joe's tent.

In GEAR » My first UL (sort of) overnighter w/hexamid
July 19, 8:25am

Size
I'm 5'-9" and weigh 152 lbs. I typically wear size 29 waist pants. I usually fit into small, but just in case I ordered mediums. I found I couldn't fit into the smalls. The med...

In GEAR » Seamsealing tyvek pants
July 16, 10:51am

Lightweight 'Locking' Hiking Poles
The truly lightweight hiking poles are 'twist' lock. The lightest pair of 'locking' poles per pair is approximately 16 oz. Someone needs to make a lighter pair.

In GEAR » Simple question
July 16, 10:45am

Fantastic Read
I'm really looking forward to more articles. I did a 9 month trip from South Africa to Egypt 12 years ago. You're article has flashed many forgotten memories. THANKS

In Editor's Roundtable » The Global Test: One Gear List for Two Years and Five Continents
July 14, 10:22am

Spring/Summer of 2011 for 180 (British Pounds)
Dear John, Thank you for your enquiry. I can confirm that the Spektr Smock will be available next S/S at an RRP of £180. I am sure that in the next few months there will be many reviews a...

In GEAR » Cuben Fiber hits the mainstream?
July 13, 10:35am

Nice Set-up
Nice stuff you have on your site. I really like that Echo 1 shelter system.

In Gear Deals » Hyperlite Mountain Gear Inc.
July 12, 1:17pm

Benjamin
What's your blog address?

In GEAR » Cuben Fiber hits the mainstream?
July 09, 1:07pm

Loads of Stuff on that Site
They still have the Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 in stock. I picked up the Mont-Bell down pants for 20% off.

In Gear Deals » 20% Off coupon at CampSaver.com
July 09, 9:44am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am