Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3891 - 3900 of 5569 | Page: 1 ...381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 ...557

Forum » Thread

Re: GPS, Phone
but wouldn't dropping the cell phone be a small safety issue? I don't always have coverage, but isn't it nice to have one in case of an emergency especially since I usually go solo"...

In Gear Lists » Help getting under 10 lbs
April 02, 1:50pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rank the Bars
"I started taking Snickers bars again, but eat them as part of my breakfast so they are not melted." From a desert hiker... put all you chocolate and other melty bars in a ziplock, wra...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Rank the Bars
April 02, 1:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Multiplier, CLF, and the lost of Freedom
Jerry, I don't necessarily agree that we should have pushed for American versions... it isn't going to happen. China already had the manufacturing infrastructure in place. But government...

In Chaff » Republican's attack on wilderness. Unconscionable!
April 02, 12:21pm

Re: Dual sided map
I like USGS topo maps, because I have used them for so long. But weight, size, and cost makes the other options attractive. If I do not anticipate rain, I use very thin bond paper that can handl...

In Multiple Use Gear » Dual sided map
April 02, 12:00pm

Re: Re: The Multiplier, CLF, and the lost of Freedom
"Tiresome fear mongering -- using the same old foreign boogeyman prop. Econ 101 tells us that other suppliers will be eager to jump in -- whenever the price is "right"." Be...

April 02, 11:49am

Re: Trailer for camping?
Scavo, First thought, like Roger, was it is not about backpacking light. But maybe it is a good conversation. A lot of us enjoy outdoor recreation activities that are not always backpacking. ...

In GEAR » Trailer for camping?
April 02, 11:32am

Spring has sprung, and skipped to Summer
Hit triple digits in the low desert today. 102F (38.89C for our metric friends). The PCT seasosn hasn't even started. Still a lot of snow in the San Jacintos and San Bernardinos, but shouldn...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Spring has sprung, and skipped to Summer
April 01, 3:48pm

Re: Re: Southern California hikers Nomad Ventures sells ULA equipment packs
Ben, Relax. It is not an earth-shattering topic. The OP made a nice contribution that if someone in Southern California wants to touch a ULA pack before purchasing one, they are available at...

In GEAR » Southern California hikers Nomad Ventures sells ULA equipment packs
April 01, 1:21pm

Re: Re: Southern California hikers Nomad Ventures sells ULA equipment packs
Ben, Why blast the small shops? Why would Nomad try and sell ULA packs on the Web? They would have to compete with ULA directly. Nomad meets the needs of local hikers and climbers, and they are ...

In GEAR » Southern California hikers Nomad Ventures sells ULA equipment packs
April 01, 12:14pm

The Multiplier, CLF, and the lost of Freedom
In Los Angeles there is a popular radio show (the John and Ken Show), with one of largest non-syndicated audiences in the nation. These guys are talking politics all the time, and when they have an...

April 01, 11:55am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am