Dan Durston (dandydan) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Cascadia
About Me -
CityThunder Bay
StateON
CountryCanada
My Website URLhttp://www.motorscooterguide.net
My PDF Gear ListBMWO 2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dan Durston

Showing 3831 - 3840 of 3890 | Page: 1 ...370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389

Forum » Thread

Strategy
Sleeping bag strategy is a difficult decision. I'm a believer in a 2-bag system where you have one bag for 3 season use and another for winter. If you try to buy one do-it-all bag then you'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleeping bag for Algonquin Park, Canada
July 08, 2:20pm

What Loop?
What backpacking loop are you planning on doing? Do you have reservations?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleeping bag for Algonquin Park, Canada
July 08, 12:04am

MEC
Why not just stop at MEC on your way to Algonquin? The - 10 C Merlin bag (15 F) is sub 2.5lbs, plenty warm and when you convert the $310 price to US funds it's around $250.

July 07, 10:29pm

Ankle
My ankle is quite colorful this morning.....it's all swollen with a lot of bleeding under the skin. Oh well....I'm just glad this happened on a short trip.

In GEAR » GoLite Jam2 vs. GoLite LiteSpeed w/o Frame
July 07, 12:34pm

Volume
It seems like that would hog quite a bit of your packs volume. No?

In GEAR » Neo Air as Frame
July 06, 6:12pm

No Frame
I recently did an overnighter with a 16lbs pack weight for my GoLite Lite-Speed (with the internal frame removed) and found it really comfortable. I was amazed. When my Jam2 arrives I anticipate I&...

In GEAR » Neo Air as Frame
July 06, 5:36pm

Amazing
So the overnighter went amazing (pack wise). I've never carried anything under 22lbs in my Lite-Speed previously(with the frame). On this trip I was 16lbs without the frame and it was WAY more ...

In GEAR » GoLite Jam2 vs. GoLite LiteSpeed w/o Frame
July 06, 3:04pm

Yup
Like Ian, I use a lightweight dry sack. I love it! It keeps my down bag dry and I can compress it as much as I like. Normally I compress it moderately. I use a 10L dry sack for my 30F bag and I ty...

In GEAR » Compressing a Down Bag
July 06, 12:58pm

Grangers
Slightly off topic, but to restore the DWR I prefer Grangers over NikWax. Nikwax is good but it's wax based which means it wears off about twice as fast as Grangers which is not wax based. I fo...

In GEAR » Alternatives to Nikwax Tech Wash?
July 05, 1:48am

Polypropelene
When people refer to 'Poly' they are usually referring to Polyester which the vast majority of synthetic base layers are made from. Patagonia's Capilene, anything by the North Face, und...

In GEAR » Stewing in your own juices
July 05, 1:43am

All Reader Reviews by Dan Durston

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs Cuben DuoMid
The DuoMid is the best shelter for solo hikers. Don't be misled by the "Duo" in its name - you could cram two hikers in here but it's poorly suited for that (ie. no vestibule space, ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
September 22, 1:56pm

Evernew 300ml Dbl Wall Mug (ECA354)
I like the idea of a robust, double wall titanium mug that may be a bit heavier...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 22, 11:01am

Montane Minimus DT Pant
These pants are a very niche product. They're light (4.25oz Med) but the Pertex Shield+ m...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 22, 10:31am

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)
I have this kit and the FireLite Mini kit. This sparker is a bit lighter than the FireLite Mini but I don't trust this sparker 100% like I do the FireLite. This sparker doesn't work well wh...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:21pm

BPL FireLite Firestarter
I love this FireLite Mini. It's the only thing that I 100% trust to start a fire. With a mini Bic you can run out of gas, be at too high of an altitude, get it wet or get it oily. Matches can ...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:19pm

Hyperlight Mtn Gear Echo I
I wasn't sure where to put this review as the Echo I can be used as either a tarp or a double wall tent. OVERVIEW I've given the Echo I five stars because it's quality construct...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
October 16, 4:15pm

Golite 2006 Reed Pants
I've got the original Reed pants (4oz in a size medium) and they are prefect rain pants for UL hiking. They've been adequately durable, totally waterproof and light. I don't want ankle zip...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:27pm

Marmot Essence
I'll be the first one to give this jacket 5 stars. Marmot has made a number of changes to this jacket over the years so criticisms of the earlier models are no longer relevant. My Essence is t...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:22pm

Baladeo 22 Grams Knife
This knife is a brilliant design. Every part of it is functional and the result is a lot of knife for just 22g (or 24.3g as mine as actually weighs). When I opened the (very nice) box and first played...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 6:10pm

Nite ize S-Biner
After using another small biner that failed due to a poor design, I switched the Nite Ize Size 1 biner for bear bagging this summer. I use one of these to clip to my 1.4mm spectra cord to my food sack...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 5:56pm