Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott S (sschloss1) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale New England
About Me Scott S has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott S

Showing 381 - 390 of 504 | Page: 1 ...30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ...51

Forum » Thread

Guy-lines for Tarp
Kelty Triptease isn't the lightest cord available, but it's super reflective--you'd have to be blind to miss it in the dark with any kind of light.

In GEAR » Guy-lines for Tarp
July 01, 5:27pm

Why wait?
Why wait 15 minutes to turn the bottle upside down? Isn't the concentration of ClO2 dropping from the moment the tablet finishes dissolving or you add the drops? I add my drops, give the bo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Avoid contamination when using tablets?
June 28, 12:17pm

Numbers
From the NY Times: "Take, for example, a hypothetical American woman who switches to a more fuel-efficient car, drives less, recycles, installs more efficient light bulbs, and replaces her...

In Chaff » Personal greenhouse emissions: procreation vs driving a hummer
June 26, 7:31pm

Good luck!
Have a great hike! I'm going to PM you my phone number in case you get stuck on our side of the Connecticut River. I know you said you wanted to do it unsupported, but long waits to get a rid...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Training for a speed hike.
June 24, 12:16pm

Tarp Size?
For summer, I have a 5' x 8' tarp that I use with a bivy. But I also have a larger tarp that I use when I expect a lot of rain or snow. Both tarps will keep you dry when you're sleepi...

In GEAR » Tarp Size?
June 13, 8:26pm

Use your camera
Another way to use your camera is to shoot pictures of pages from field guides. This probably won't help if you don't know any of the species in the area, but if there are just a few troub...

In GEAR » lighter nature study tools
June 11, 8:01am

Re: Re: Ursacks and Canisters
"It is not about what you can get away with, or how you can trick the rangers. It is about protecting the bears! I know that you (and others) believe the Ursack will protect the bears. It w...

In Gear Lists » gear list, JMT, solo, July
June 10, 9:07pm

Cheap bug net
The Coghlan's bug net (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86660) is $30 and is, as far as I know, the lightest full length bug net you can buy. It doesn't have a floor, but you ...

In GEAR » Tarp,groundcloth,bug net suggestions for frugal newbie
June 10, 2:06pm

Trail runners
You'll be fine in trail runners. By July, the snow should be soft enough that you won't have to worry about kicking in steps. If you wear boots, they're going to be full of water afte...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » reason to change footwear for JMT
June 07, 6:21am

Thanks
I suspected it was over a pound--too heavy for my kit. But thanks anyway.

In Gear Swap » Few things FS
June 06, 7:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott S

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Design FS exodus
I used an Exodus FS for my 5-month CDT thru-hike. The pack was, by far, my least favorite piece of gear. What I didn't like: - The pack squeaked loudly and persistently, with almost every ste...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 23, 5:07pm