BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 381 - 390 of 426 | Page: 1 ...24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Forum » Thread

UL SS DownHugger #5
I just bought one of these bags before my last trip. I had only 1 night that approached the 40º range, probably 44º at the least. I did not have to use my hood and supposed I could have gone down...

In GEAR » Montbell UL SS bag question
August 06, 1:45pm

Tents without floors
Pete, I just got back from my trek. I will post a critique when I get a chance. However, as regards to a floor, I would seriously consider taking a tarp with floor or a tent with a floor. Most ...

In Philmont » LIghtweight Philmont Experince
August 04, 6:15pm

Thanks for the Reports/I'm Out
Hey all, Thanks for all of the reports and especially to those that have been posting on this site since its inception (thanks BPL!). I'm on the train Sunday on my way to Trek 23. These l...

July 18, 11:54am

Samson Twine
I could just imagine showing up with "twine" to hang the bear bag. If they have problems with the 7/64 stuff could you imagine if you said, "Hey, we'll just use this twine"....

July 16, 12:44pm

7/64 Amsteel
Paul, I wish I had seen your post sooner. I ordered 150' of rope. I had heard that 75' would do. We are planning on using a 3 caribiner method. My question is would 75' be long en...

July 16, 12:17pm

2 Types of Scales
I use 2 types: 1. Office Depot 11 lb postal scale. Nice for most items. Also, I can put a bucket on the scale, zero it out, and then weigh my stuff. 2. Hanging scale. American Weigh H66. I th...

In GEAR » Please suggest a scale
July 15, 3:38pm

Bear Bag Rope
I am wondering what type of rope they do give out. We have decided to use a method using 3 caribiners to make a 2/1 mechanical pulley. We are using parachute cord. Will they let us use that rop...

July 15, 2:54pm

I've Been Quilting
I have been using a quilt on my last outings. Our scout troop will be off to Philmont New Mexico and I wanted to see how I like it. BPL UL60 quilt (I think that's what it's called). 1. A...

In GEAR » Debunking the Myth: Quilts AREN’T as Comfortable as a Sleeping Bag
July 09, 3:47pm

Inner tube
That makes sense. I guess you just wrapped it and finished the wrap like you would hold nylon straps together. I'll try it on our hike tonight. I am using my Leki poles that actually couple ...

In Philmont » Dining Fly
June 27, 4:25pm

Inner tube
Paul, Could you explain how you used the inner tube? Did you just stretch the section of innertube over the trekking poles at the handles and then velcro on top of that? Inquiring minds want to ...

In Philmont » Dining Fly
June 26, 8:43am

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm