BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 381 - 390 of 415 | Page: 1 ...23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Forum » Thread

Nice Ideas
Nice ideas and examples. Someone said that Philmont does not let you tie to trees. Did I hear wrong. Seems so logical to do so. We don't have that many with hiking poles and mine will ...

In Philmont » Dining Fly
June 25, 9:51pm

Dining Fly
We are taking our own 10'x12 Silnylon tarp, ropes and stakes. I am wondering what methods work out there. I have heard that some use trekking poles but that is about a 50" ridge height. ...

In Philmont » Dining Fly
June 25, 9:44am

Sale "Pending"
I hope you saw my PM yeseterday. Payment was sent. Thanks, Scott

In Gear Swap » FS: Tarptent Double Rainbow
June 25, 8:15am

Re:Straining
Your comment about people looking down on lightweight packers is funny but true. I've packed a lot of ways and have found packing light to be much more fun for me. I remember getting to camp at...

In Philmont » Cooking Systems
June 24, 3:24pm

Our Itinerary
Our trek starts July 22. Train from LA on July 20th. Thanks for the info. We have a shakedown hike this weekend and I want to get some of the details down. Philmont food seems quite heavy. I ...

June 23, 10:45pm

Unpackaging Philmont Food
I am wondering how you get the food. Someone answered me that it comes ready for 2 persons, however, how much packaging comes with it. Do the freeze dried meals come in the vacuum sealed pouches or...

June 23, 2:50pm

Tarptent Dbl.
See PM. Thanks.

In Gear Swap » FS: Tarptent Double Rainbow
June 23, 2:32pm

Yes, that helps
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll be suggesting we take a few collapsables. We're used to doing it anyway. Probably take 2 2.5 gallon and 1 5 gallon. Thanks again. Scott

In Philmont » Philmont Checklist
June 15, 9:43am

2.5 Gallon Water Containers
How many of you take along the collapsable 2.5 gallon water containers? We do this in the Sierras with scouts (never when I pack with family, etc.). Just wondering if it is advisable at Philmont.

In Philmont » Philmont Checklist
June 14, 5:52pm

Polycro
What you got from Gossamer Gear is a Polycro groundsheet. I like those and they hold up quite well. I have not used a spinn sheet.

In GEAR » ground sheet
June 07, 5:20pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm