Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 381 - 390 of 436 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Forum » Thread

Scouts and Leave No Trace
Paul, I am especially sensitive to your comments because I do pack a lot with scout groups. I prefer to go out with 2 or 3, however, when working with scouts we are usually working with bigger g...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Scout Gear List
August 14, 1:06pm

Spinn Twinn
PM sent on Spinn Twinn

In Gear Swap » FS: Closet Clear Out - Part I
August 11, 6:06pm

How to cut weight further?
One way is to take your own ropes, tents, stoves, packs, etc. The Philmont issued equip. is real durable but real heavy. I think where we saved our weight was in our base layer, i.e., Packs (GG Mar...

In Gear Lists » Philmont gear selection..
August 11, 5:53pm

Our Lightweight Experience
Since last January, I have been working with our crew, 4 adults and 8 scouts, regarding pack weight and philosophies. This Forum helped me tremendously since Philmont has its own way of doing thing...

In Philmont » LIghtweight Philmont Experince
August 08, 6:25pm

Mariposa Plus
The Mariposa Plus has straight stays. I know one of the earlier reviews stated it would be better if the stays were curved. I don't know if the newer packs will have that option. The stays are ...

In GEAR » Help picking a pack
August 08, 1:38pm

Misting: Myth or Fact
This discussion has been interesting to me. I just got back from 2 weeks at Philmont Scout Ranch, New Mexico. 2 of us had Gossamer Gear "The One" tents with spinnaker cloth. It rained six...

In GEAR » Silnylon "Misting" and Ray Jardine
August 08, 1:17pm

Scouts and Backpacking
When I was a younger scout the ONLY thing that kept me in was the backpacking. We would go up to the Sierras to hike. It was heaven. Catching and eating trout. Sleeping in a tube tent. Hiking next ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » A Forum for Scouts and Scouters
August 07, 6:28pm

Various Packs
I just got back from a 2 week trek with our scouts. We all had some sort of lighter packs. 4 Go Lite Pinnacle 1 REI UL 45 2 Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus 1 Gossamer Gear G-4 (sewn by the scout) ...

In GEAR » Help picking a pack
August 07, 4:15pm

Orange Hats
I went to college in Utah. Being from So. California I wasn't brought up on hunting (not that there is anything wrong with it). However, when deer hunting season started I always wore my orange...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Hunter Shoots Hiker in Washington State
August 07, 3:38pm

To Each His Own
I guess you could look at it another way. He'll see way more of the AT than anyone else in a shorter amount of time.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » AT Speed Record Attempt
August 07, 3:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm