Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 381 - 390 of 675 | Page: 1 ...30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Nano Puff or FA Serrano?
Nano Puff is a bit lighter by almost 2oz and I think the Nano Puff has better attention to detail. One area that FA seems to short change is the zipper. Having said that, they have the same amoun...

In GEAR » Nano Puff or FA Serrano?
July 12, 5:15pm

Steripen and Sawyer
I have both and like both of them. I haven't used the Sawyer long enough to have a proper opinion but so far so good. On a longer trip I would probably bring both to back up the other.

In GEAR » Returning my Steripen
July 12, 4:22pm

Re: reading
The softshell article in the above link should be required reading for anyone doing winter activities. The reason I said earlier that nothing in my 3 season line-up is used in Winter is because an...

In Gear Lists » synthetic mid-layer and other dilemmas
July 12, 2:14pm

Re: wow...
"The R1 still feels like just another base layer, and don't see how it "pulls its weight" in terms of layering." The R1 is my winter baselayer. Most things I use for 3 s...

In Gear Lists » synthetic mid-layer and other dilemmas
July 12, 12:14pm

Re: Moving to Denver
I live in Castle Rock. It's a suburb south of Denver within 15 minutes of Centennial. There are some good trail running options nearby in Castlewood Canyon State Park. Castle Rock actually h...

In Chaff » Moving to Denver
July 10, 2:24pm

Re: Cap2 v nano
I recently went through a similar question between Nano and R2 Fleece. Bottom line is Nano is quite warm and more importantly, doesn't breath. Nano to a Cap2 is quite a drop off so not sure y...

In GEAR » Patagonia Cap 2 vs. Nano Puff
July 10, 2:52am

Re: Steripen dilemna
A thread that discussed your exact dilemna including your same destination, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=32126

In GEAR » Steripen dilemna
July 08, 9:46pm

Re: PT advice
I have pronation issues as well and use Green Superfeet inside my La Sportiva Wildcat trail runners. The combination of stiffer soles and the arch support are perfect. I think minimalist shoes i...

In GEAR » Trailrunners cause knee problems?
July 01, 5:01pm

Re: Another Data Point for Those Considering SPOT (vs PLB)
Good report. Conclusion SPOT = Send I am OK and tracking messages to family/friends. PLB = When life saving response is required

In GEAR » Another Data Point for Those Considering SPOT (vs PLB)
June 27, 4:39pm

FA Sirocco
I love Patagonia products and own a bunch of them, but you can't beat the First Ascent Sirocco wind shirt on sale now for $24.99. I own one and have used extensively. One of my favorite piece...

In GEAR » Wind Shirt/Jacket
June 27, 3:17pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm