BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 381 - 390 of 392 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Forum » Thread

Solo study
Vick, I want to be the guy you pay to hike solo if you are going to do a scientific study.

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking Alone
September 20, 8:29am

sorta
The combination of a Sling-Light chair inside a Moonbow Gearskin. The chair makes the Gearskin carry like an external frame pack.

In GEAR » Built a camp chair using an external frame backpack?
September 09, 7:19am

Re: Tarps in Grand Canyon
29 nights below the rim with no tent in May and October. Mostly used just a poncho for shelter, but this last May I used a 8'X10' tarp because rain was forcast. In the corridor sites a tent is ni...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Hammock Camping
August 26, 8:16am

Ultralight is safer
My base weight is about 15 so I am only lightweight. Seven years ago I was coming back from an injury and realized that I must go lighter or less miles. Injury from falls stopped when I switche...

In Philosophy & Technique » Is Ultralight Backpacking Less Safe?
August 16, 4:18pm

snake skins
Snake skins solve the put it up in the rain problem. The hammock stays dry inside the snake skins until the fly is up. The snake skins can be used to keep the hammock out of the way while you coo...

In GEAR » Hammocks
August 15, 8:50am

Re: Sweet Water Viral Stop used alone?
Sweet Water viral stop is a 3.5% concentration and normal household bleach is a 6%. Very little advantage over bleach. I mostly use a Hiker filter, but when I use chemicals I alternate iodine a...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Sweet Water Viral Stop used alone?
August 14, 2:54pm

Re: Rain Pants vs/ Windpants
For a number of years I have used nothing but REI Sahara pants. During the monsoon and early fall I will add a pair of DryDucks or Frogg Toggs. I also carry expedition weight long underwear for s...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rain Pants vs/ Windpants
July 29, 6:45am

GoLite Coal
The GoLite Coal has been out of production long enough that they are getting hard to find. I wish I had bought a half dozen when they were on sale for about $50.

In GEAR » Ultralight insulating jacket
July 27, 9:54am

Re: mits
I carry a pair of rubber gloves in my first aid kit. They do fit over the possum down gloves and make them so warm it is uncomfortable. I added them to my kit after rendering first aid and real...

In GEAR » PossumDown Glove Shell
July 26, 5:44pm

Re: Sleeping bags without bottom insulation
I am a side sleeper and find that the BA mummy bags/pads do not allow me to flex my knees as much as I like. The regular bag/pad is great. YMMV

In GEAR » Sleeping bags without bottom insulation
July 12, 10:52am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am