BPL Community Profile

jeffrey armbruster (book) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern California
About Me bookseller. nordic skier. backpacker.
Cityberkeley
Stateca
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jeffrey armbruster

Showing 381 - 390 of 580 | Page: 1 ...30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ...58

Forum » Thread

"Near death experiences (or close calls) on the trail?"
I had a scary crossing of the Lyell fork several years ago. I didn't go in but but it was a close call. Anyway, this summer (a much lower water year) I spent about an hour looking for a better ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Near death experiences (or close calls) on the trail?
August 27, 2:32pm

"Hoover Wilderness..Twin Lakes Trailhead to Peeler Lake
I'm pretty sure that the blowdown was from last year. On the Benson Lake loop there are two big ones--the most annoying is right at Benson Lake; the other is between Mule and Burrow pass. This ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hoover Wilderness..Twin Lakes Trailhead to Peeler Lake and Beyond...Need some advice
August 27, 10:05am

"Isaac creates Contrail wind speed test opportunity"
Which will fare better: Romney's hair or your contrail?

In GEAR » Isaac creates Contrail wind speed test opportunity
August 26, 2:03pm

"Free Great Reads on Kindle Suggestions?"
I'm finding that the free (or .99) reads on Kindle often are really bad editions of classic works or older, bad translations. For example I downloaded Dostoevsky's The Idiot because it was ...

In GEAR » Free Great Reads on Kindle Suggestions?
August 26, 1:57pm

"Starting to rethink my stake tent on granite"
I've been pleasantly surprised at how well and how easy rocks work with stakes in the Sierra. Seems like there's always plenty of rocks in granite areas. I use a Big Agnes Fire Creek tent s...

In GEAR » Starting to rethink my stake tent on granite
August 21, 10:10am

"How do you survive the bugs?"
Nylon pants, long sleeved sun-shirt(tight weave), sun-grubbies on my hands with a spritz of deet if necessary--which is almost never. In prime insect months I wear a solumbra sun hat that has a dra...

In GEAR » How do you survive the bugs?
August 19, 10:41am

"Leg Cramps" attn. Mary D
Mary: you've probably heard this, but I thought that I might mention a really easy stretch that I do for my mild--now virtually non-existent--plantar fasciatis. Someone gave me a shaped wooden ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Leg Cramps
August 18, 4:37pm

Most efficient stove/pot combo that doesn't explode"
I use a caldera cone as a windscreen for my pocket rocket. I DO NOT fully enclose the cone but leave a gap--enough for me to constantly check the temperature of the canister with my finger. Also I ...

In GEAR » Most efficient stove/pot combo that doesn't explode
August 17, 5:06pm

"Fuel for 5-night Trip"
A four ounce fuel canister coupled with a pocket rocket, small ti pot and an excellent windscreen has consistently bought me six days(!)of cooking with fuel left over. The windscreen is key. I boil...

In GEAR » Fuel for 5-night Trip
August 07, 9:39am

Exped Synmat UL problems"
I've used mine for at least 25 nights going back to last season and have had no problems, EXCEPT on this last trip when I initially couldn't get the schnozzel to pump air. It turned out to ...

In GEAR » Exped Synmat UL problems
August 04, 4:57pm

All Reader Reviews by jeffrey armbruster

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Vasque Breeze GTX
These boots really are a breeze on your feet. Unlike another reviewer, I found these boots to have terrific ankle support. However, the deal-killer for me is the relatively narrow toe box. Full disclo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
March 16, 7:35pm