November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. I'm in my 50's now and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 381 - 390 of 491 | Page: 1 ...30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Forum » Thread

SAC is ?????
SAC is ????

In Gear Deals » Steripen Adventurer on SAC right now
September 28, 1:41pm

Real Nice!
I've never sewed a thing in my life. I know I could never make a pack like that, even after many tries. Great job! I follow this site hoping to see something that'll make me try and your...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Prettylight pack: Success
September 27, 9:50am

Sealine bag
Don't your legs hit the Sealine bag under the seat??? You have great gear on that bike.

In Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring » The Shortest Bikepacking Trip on Record
September 23, 12:23pm

I started biking to work about 3 years ago....8 miles each way. What a difference that has made. I feel like I can hike all day and never tire. I practically run up slopes while hiking. It'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone "train" for hiking?
September 23, 11:51am

Cervical Vertebrae
I just can't imagine that being good for your cervical vertebrae. I want to see you hike comfortably for many more years....maybe think this one over. Sure I've seen them used all over th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tumpline
September 23, 11:47am

Not eVent
I know we talked about this jacket a couple weeks ago, but I can't find the link. All I can say is it's not eVent, but the numbers are impressive.

In GEAR » First Ascent - BC-200 Jacket?
September 21, 4:08pm

I came back to this site after rethinking over the cuben kilt too. I've been out on loads of trips where it starts to rain and I toss on my raincoat, but ignore throwing on my rainpants (over ...

In GEAR » TrailLite Designs...
September 17, 9:34am

Mayonnaise Container all the Way
I agree with Dale. I believe Dale mentioned this in a previous Sterpin question. I find the plastic mayonnaise containers to be a great alternative, with very large openings and 1.8oz/50g weight....

In GEAR » steripen compatible container
September 17, 9:14am

Interesting......I've never seen a cuben fiber kilt.

In GEAR » TrailLite Designs...
September 16, 12:04pm

Best Review!
My jaw dropped at how well you covered your review of the HMG Echo 1 tent. Way to go! It looks like HMG really cares about their craftmanship. Weight issues are always difficult. The next one t...

In GEAR » HMG Echo I - Initial Impressions
September 16, 9:37am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Gossamer Gear Mariposa
I own a 2014 edition. I'll admit that I only have approximately 250 miles on the pack so far, but I find it to be extremely comfortable for me. I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 156 lbs. I b...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 01, 2:56pm

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am