Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 381 - 390 of 477 | Page: 1 ...29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Forum » Thread

Thanks
I appreciate the education in tape vs. glue. I had no idea tape would be so efficient. I really want to try my first cuben tarp soon. I just need to learn which product will work. It sounds like...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tape Questions
September 14, 11:17am

Re: old news
It was my understanding that Ryan's only had a modified cuben rainfly with a silnylon body @ 19 oz. They're now showing an all cuben at 14 oz. I could be wrong...which wouldn't be my ...

In GEAR » Lightheart Gear has Gone Cuben
September 14, 10:09am

Lightheart Gear has Gone Cuben
I noticed this morning that Lightheart Gear has jumped into the cuben fiber market. I emailed them this morning and their solo cuben fiber tent is 14 oz. I don't know if that's with or wi...

In GEAR » Lightheart Gear has Gone Cuben
September 14, 9:13am

Grasping the Use of Tape
My low level educated mind still has a difficult time grasping the use of tape vs. glueing. In my mind I see the tape failing after a couple years. I assume the glue sort of melts the two pieces ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tape Questions
September 13, 11:24am

Small was Big
I ordered a small and was amazed how big it was..........I must be getting smaller.

In Gear Deals » Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight New Stock and Colors
September 10, 8:33am

Shower Pass Around Town
Chris, Unfortunately I've never worn my Shower Pass jacket around town or hiking, simply because I have other jackets for that purpose. However, I don't see why it wouldn't serve as...

In GEAR » Event rain jacket
September 09, 9:13am

Cuben Fiber Chair???
I've been wanting to dip my feet into the MYOG of camping. I think this would make a perfect first project using cuben fiber.

In GEAR » Anyone using a camp chair?
September 08, 2:42pm

Re: Shower Pass
Chris, It's raining here in Seattle this morning and I rode into work wearing my Shower Pass Jacket. They do have long arms. You need it when reaching forward over the bars. Obviuosly they ...

September 08, 11:05am

Nylon Lining???
I never knew of the Westcomb Spector LT. Does the nylon lining effect the breathability of eVent? The jacket looks great at only 11 oz. I own the REI Shukson at 18.5 oz and love the jacket. I ...

September 07, 3:17pm

3 -Season 800 Down Quilt
Steven, Check out the "Readers Review' on this site. The bag scores a 4.5 out of 5. For the price I see you can't go wrong....their price is cheap. It's a pretty good bag. I o...

In Gear Deals » GoLite Outerwear | Apparel | Gear
September 07, 11:45am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am