Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 381 - 390 of 456 | Page: 1 ...27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Forum » Thread

Code Worked
THANKS

In Gear Deals » Patagonia Sale
August 19, 10:02am

Feathered Friends - Labor Day Sale
I received an email from FF this morning stating they're having a sale between August 23 - Sept 6. I couldn't find prices or products.

In Gear Deals » Feathered Friends - Labor Day Sale
August 19, 9:18am

Bear Paw Tents
I've read where a handful of people on this site send there tents to Bear Paw Tents to have them modified.

In GEAR » where to modify a tarp/tent?
August 17, 9:32am

Hydration Pocket - So does my Exos
My EXOS 58 also has a hydration pocket with tube outlets on both upper corners of the pack. I can't imagine anything more comfortable than an EXOS. If you're looking for a smaller pack ...

In GEAR » Making the switch from Exos to Talon packs. Comfort?
August 16, 8:35am

Awesome
I'm running to IKEA this weekend. I need to find a way to mount my alcohol stove when needed.

In Make Your Own Gear » 3,06 oz. ikea woodstove
August 11, 1:59pm

Osprey Confersion
I was looking at my Osprey EXOS pack and I think it can only be done by cutting away the existing pack material 1-inch from the frame. The cubin pack would need to be attached to this 1-inch lip o...

In Make Your Own Gear » Who Can Make This?
August 11, 12:33pm

Thanks Aaron
2 lbs 11 oz seems heavy for that tent. The new 2 person, double wall, Easton Kilo is 2.2 lbs. Something to think about.

In GEAR » Wish List - One item Only
August 10, 3:39pm

Who Can Make This?
I'd like to take an Osprey EXOS pack and remove the bag from the frame, keeping the belt and shoulder straps connected to the frame. Then I'd like a cuben fiber bag built onto the frame. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Who Can Make This?
August 10, 1:10pm

Airline Ticket
I will be traveling...that's a given. I've planned a trip already to Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso and Ghana. I really like my Osprey EXOS pack. I'm thinking of buying a 2nd one an...

In GEAR » Wish List - One item Only
August 10, 12:43pm

885ml at 1.75 OZ
I agree with Dale and Tom. I was at Safeway and picked up some mayonnaise, emptied the container, cleaned it and weighed it. It has a large mouth of I'd say 4-inches. This will work well for...

In GEAR » Absolute Lightest 1L Water Bottle
August 10, 11:12am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am