Dan Durston (dandydan) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Cascadia
About Me -
CityThunder Bay
StateON
CountryCanada
My Website URLhttp://www.motorscooterguide.net
My PDF Gear ListBMWO 2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dan Durston

Showing 3751 - 3760 of 3835 | Page: 1 ...365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384

Forum » Thread

Temperature
How important is it to have the water temperature bang on? It doesn't seem like the weight would change signficantly if you were 5 or 10 F off....no?

In GEAR » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Pads
July 16, 11:33pm

Rubbing
Regarding the rubbing....I want to be clear that I haven't noticed any actual rubbing occurring. I was simply worried that it MIGHT occur and if it did, that MIGHT cause damage. The main pol...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » MSR Carbon Reflex 2
July 16, 9:49pm

Dang it...
Dang it....foiled again because I'm a Canadian. Most of the sick deals never work. It's bad enough I have to pay more money for gear (with the exchange rate), more for shipping and then rid...

In Gear Deals » 1 Yr of Backpacker Magazine for $3.99
July 16, 9:42pm

Re: Brilliant Logic :o)
"Guy-out lines and stake-out lines; they are the same thing, correct?" Yes, at least when I use those terms they are. ---------------- "Did you get 8 stakes with your tent?&...

July 15, 11:56pm

Pack under feet
I'm planning to buy a NeoAir in the near future and currently debating between the short and regular versions. The 5oz savings is quite appealing but I don't want to lose the comfort factor...

In Editor's Roundtable » Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Sleeping Pad Review
July 15, 10:08pm

Interesting Vid
Nice video. I never use fire starter in the wilderness so it was a good introduction for me. Normally I just grab a couple squares of toilet paper (unused) and that's enough to start small twig...

In Editor's Roundtable » Up in Smoke: Backcountry Fire Building Videocast
July 15, 9:44pm

What pack?
What pack are you using? If you're using a frameless pack with a bit of foam in the back (ie. GoLite Jam2) then I vote just to forget about the faux sleeping pad frame. There are really two ...

In GEAR » Frameless packs and rolled foam
July 15, 6:09pm

Testing
I took my CR2 out camping last night. I experimented with putting the cross pole over and under the main pole. It seemed quite clear to me that it worked better OVER the main pole. With the cros...

July 15, 4:05pm

Re: Talked to MSR...
Regarding the loose corners of your tent, what is happening is that when you attach the fly it pulls the corners of the tent up which loosens the body. Without the fly, the stakes are pulling the t...

July 15, 3:55pm

Touching
It's probably fine to have the poles touching, but I don't know how carbon fibre handles this in the long term. If it's a windy night and the poles rub on each other all night, then per...

July 13, 12:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Dan Durston

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs Cuben DuoMid
The DuoMid is the best shelter for solo hikers. Don't be misled by the "Duo" in its name - you could cram two hikers in here but it's poorly suited for that (ie. no vestibule space, ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
September 22, 1:56pm

Evernew 300ml Dbl Wall Mug (ECA354)
I like the idea of a robust, double wall titanium mug that may be a bit heavier...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 22, 11:01am

Montane Minimus DT Pant
These pants are a very niche product. They're light (4.25oz Med) but the Pertex Shield+ m...

In Clothing - Raingear
September 22, 10:31am

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)
I have this kit and the FireLite Mini kit. This sparker is a bit lighter than the FireLite Mini but I don't trust this sparker 100% like I do the FireLite. This sparker doesn't work well wh...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:21pm

BPL FireLite Firestarter
I love this FireLite Mini. It's the only thing that I 100% trust to start a fire. With a mini Bic you can run out of gas, be at too high of an altitude, get it wet or get it oily. Matches can ...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
October 28, 11:19pm

Hyperlight Mtn Gear Echo I
I wasn't sure where to put this review as the Echo I can be used as either a tarp or a double wall tent. OVERVIEW I've given the Echo I five stars because it's quality construct...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
October 16, 4:15pm

Golite 2006 Reed Pants
I've got the original Reed pants (4oz in a size medium) and they are prefect rain pants for UL hiking. They've been adequately durable, totally waterproof and light. I don't want ankle zip...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:27pm

Marmot Essence
I'll be the first one to give this jacket 5 stars. Marmot has made a number of changes to this jacket over the years so criticisms of the earlier models are no longer relevant. My Essence is t...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 15, 10:22pm

Baladeo 22 Grams Knife
This knife is a brilliant design. Every part of it is functional and the result is a lot of knife for just 22g (or 24.3g as mine as actually weighs). When I opened the (very nice) box and first played...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 6:10pm

Nite ize S-Biner
After using another small biner that failed due to a poor design, I switched the Nite Ize Size 1 biner for bear bagging this summer. I use one of these to clip to my 1.4mm spectra cord to my food sack...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 03, 5:56pm