Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 371 - 380 of 436 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Forum » Thread

Early Start
I have friends that have had to wade through waist deep NEW snow at the beginning of June. They had to walk out early. Some years it's not a problem. Some years it is. The passes are all at a c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 09 JMT thru hike
September 06, 2:29pm

2 In a Conrail
Joe, I know. However, i have seen 5 scouts in a 3 man tent many times. It's like a bunch of puppy dogs at times. It was my son and his friend in the Contrail. They are both 18 but are trim a...

In Philmont » LIghtweight Philmont Experince
August 27, 11:41pm

GG Thinlight
I use a Torsolite pad and like to use the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad for added insulation. It keeps my heels from getting cold. I find that the pad slips and bunches up defeating the purpose for h...

In GEAR » Sliding pad
August 27, 11:22am

Don't ingest it
I hike a lot with scouts and something weird always happens. Due to poor trail conditions we changed plans hiked about 20 miles one day. At the end of the day we let the kids hang out in the Kern R...

In GEAR » Insect repellent - what do you use?
August 26, 5:02pm

Climbing down from my soap box now
"Climbing down from my soap box now" That's not a soap box. It's a great story!

In GEAR » How heavy is the shirt on my back?
August 25, 12:50pm

Thanks for the report
Albert, Thanks for the report. I hope everyone chimes in here after they get back from their treks. The reports are very helpful. My son took a Contrail and used it with another scout. Even w...

In Philmont » LIghtweight Philmont Experince
August 22, 3:50pm

Experience Counts
"I now see where I can go relatively lighter for my next trip." That's the way I learned to go lighter. Each trip I took stock of what I used and did not use. Also, as I went along...

In GEAR » First timer doing Rae Lakes Loop in Kings Canyon
August 22, 2:20pm

Michael Phelps Caloric Intake
I read that Michael Phelps, the US Swimmer for all hikers that don't watch any sort of TV, read papers, magazines, talk to people or have been in the back country all summer, eats 12,000 calori...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calories/Day Estimates
August 20, 5:09pm

Solving Nail Problems
"Sovling nail problems is great." Barrry, I have found that nail problems for me come when I have loose shoes. I like them loose. However, when I am doing long steep descents I tie ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sandals for Summer Backpacking
August 20, 1:27pm

Comfortable but not my cup of tea
I had blown out my large toe nail one day and decided to hike in my Tevas. Solved the toe nail problem and gave me another: plantar fascitis. I still have to deal with my heels from that hike a few...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sandals for Summer Backpacking
August 20, 1:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm