BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 371 - 380 of 671 | Page: 1 ...29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: hmm
The forest fires have mainly affected the immediate Front Range and for the most part have passed. Holy Cross Wilderness would be a good option though I haven't done any backpack loops there, ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Suggestions for a 4 day loop in CO
July 20, 2:34pm

LCW Water
I don't think LCW is a good option this year. The LCW is a little lower in elevation than some other areas and is affected even more by the hot dry conditions we have had.

July 20, 1:02pm

Re: Suggestions for a 4 day loop in CO
I think asking for 4 day loop hike is a bit vague since no one knows how many miles you want to do. I would clarify with the type of trip of you would prefer. Do you want to hang out on a couple ...

July 20, 11:19am

Re: Partially used and empty fuel canisters
I know REI sells the device that can be used to aid in crushing empty containers. Once crushed they should recycleable with any metal recycling center.

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove vs Jetboil Sol Ti - weight savings, is it worth it?
July 16, 9:26pm

Re: Re: Alcohol vs. Jetboil
Just make sure you are including your pot in your alcohol weight. I own the Backcountry Boiler II so similar weight as Jetboil Sol Ti. So the main advantage is the fuel weight on shorter trips an...

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove vs Jetboil Sol Ti - weight savings, is it worth it?
July 16, 5:36am

Re: Re: SpinnTwinn super high pitch
I have a Spinntwinn and agree with Bren, if you don't expect weather then no need to pitch at all.

In GEAR » SpinnTwinn super high pitch
July 16, 5:27am

Re: Nano Puff or FA Serrano?
Nano Puff is a bit lighter by almost 2oz and I think the Nano Puff has better attention to detail. One area that FA seems to short change is the zipper. Having said that, they have the same amoun...

In GEAR » Nano Puff or FA Serrano?
July 12, 5:15pm

Steripen and Sawyer
I have both and like both of them. I haven't used the Sawyer long enough to have a proper opinion but so far so good. On a longer trip I would probably bring both to back up the other.

In GEAR » Returning my Steripen
July 12, 4:22pm

Re: reading
The softshell article in the above link should be required reading for anyone doing winter activities. The reason I said earlier that nothing in my 3 season line-up is used in Winter is because an...

In Gear Lists » synthetic mid-layer and other dilemmas
July 12, 2:14pm

Re: wow...
"The R1 still feels like just another base layer, and don't see how it "pulls its weight" in terms of layering." The R1 is my winter baselayer. Most things I use for 3 s...

In Gear Lists » synthetic mid-layer and other dilemmas
July 12, 12:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm