Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

george carr (hammer-one) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Walking With The Son
About Me Enjoy UL backpacking and building stoves.
Statenew jersey
My Website URL

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by george carr

Showing 371 - 380 of 408 | Page: 1 ...22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: the tarp,my twin tower
Very nice shelter! Are you planning on distributing this item commercially? If so, I'd be interested in US distribution. Contact me at if interested.

In Make Your Own Gear » the tarp,my twin tower
July 14, 12:48pm

WTB:Osprey Aether 45
I'm looking for an Osprey Aether 45, size medium, no color preference. I love my current 45 and would like a second as a spare/loaner pack.

In Gear Swap » WTB:Osprey Aether 45
June 02, 9:09pm

Re: Windscreen foil
Thanks guys. Douglas, exactly like that but in bulk. Doug, sounds like a good idea to look into, but not sure if it's the weight I'm looking for. Justin, I like my baking sheet windscreen, ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Windscreen foil
May 09, 6:04pm

Windscreen foil
Anyone know where I might find aluminum foil of a similar gauge as included with the whisperlite or whitebox stoves?

In Make Your Own Gear » Windscreen foil
May 08, 9:53pm

Re: Re: Re: RE: lightest alcohol stove & pot setup
My version of the Elite #2 with a 24 ounce Heiney pot comes in at 1.3 ounces.The version I sold had a rather heavy (1.2 ounce) winscreen, a fuel bottle and polycarb spoon and came in at 3.6 once to...

In GEAR » lightest alcohol stove & pot setup
May 06, 7:32am

heiney/mini redbull combo
I had a Heineken pot/mini redbull (similar to Elite #2)stove combo I sold for a brief while on ebay that worked great. The flame pattern is fine and it does a nice job of boiling water. definitely ...

In GEAR » lightest alcohol stove & pot setup
May 05, 8:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Nice Keg-Can Stove
Or I'm a little slow (ok maybe a LOT slow :-)). I'll work on your idea, but I'm gonna have a heck of a time finding windscreen material for that one!I'm thinking it'll go someth...

In Make Your Own Gear » The original Thru Hiker Stove
April 21, 11:56am

Re: Nice Keg-Can Stove
I made one from a 24 ouncer-it boiled 32 ounces of water in 5 minutes! The only problem was it took 5 minutes to prime. I made a priming pan for it and got it blossom in 30 seconds. Second problem ...

April 20, 10:16pm

The original Thru Hiker Stove
I've been thinking about building a stove from a keg can for a while now and finally got around to it. Here's it's starting to blossom: Here's the flame pattern This is m...

April 20, 5:57pm

Re: thermarest prolite 4 sleeping rink
You could try putting beads of silicon seam sealer, although I don't know how well that will stay on the pad over time. Just an idea.

In GEAR » thermarest prolite 4 sleeping rink
April 20, 4:56pm

All Reader Reviews by george carr

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Mountain House Precooked Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
When I decide to pack a hot breakfast I usually either pick up the MH eggs with bacon or ham and peppers. As one reviewer suggested, pour out the water before consuming. I usually prepare this dish as...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
February 19, 7:47pm

Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce
When I grab a freeze dried dinner for an overnighter, the MH lasagna is my number one choice. I liked it when I started in '88 and still like it today.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
February 19, 7:40pm

Lightweight Backpacking 101 Ryan Jordan, Alan Dixon + (2001)
When I 1st joined this was the article that convinced me sub 5 was possible. I think that on the home page there should be a link that says read this first. While the original might use some up...

In Books and Media
February 19, 7:34pm

The Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum
At the time of this books publishing UL backpacking was still relatively new to the general backpacking public, so as the saying goes "you can fool some of the people some of the time...". T...

In Books and Media
February 19, 7:28pm

Tarptent Squall
I purchased my Tarptent Squall in 2004 and now consider it my main shelter when I am carrying a tent. Henry Shires was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful. The squall has served me well from my b...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
February 10, 8:42am

Powerbar Energy Gel Caffinated Gels
I discovered energy gels a few years ago and decided to try the Powerbar brand on an AT hike in 2004. If you've never tried a carbohydrate gel or don't typically take in caffeine all I can say...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
February 10, 8:31am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I've owned the Montbell Thermawrap UL Vest for 3 seasons now, and like many folks I puchased it to save weight. I originally carried a fleece vest that had trustily served me for many years, so I ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
February 10, 8:12am