BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 371 - 380 of 392 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Forum » Thread

Reliable enough!
I've used versions of the SteriPEN for years without any malfunction. You need to sleep with it/stick it in your coat pocket during colder periods, but other than that I love the ease and spee...

In Editor's Roundtable » SteriPEN Opti Review
October 06, 10:52am

"neo + closed cell or insulated mat?"
Oh boy. I used just my Neoair all last winter (without any other accompanying pad), including down to 0, and didn't realize how much I was pushing it. I definitely had some nights that were m...

In GEAR » neo + closed cell or insulated mat?
September 28, 2:15pm

Re: What do I do with the dog?"
Thanks for the advice! I'll try taking him out and training with the tarp. He's well-behaved and not prone to running in general, so I think the worst that is likely to occur is a skittis...

In Philosophy & Technique » What do I do with the dog?
September 09, 7:08am

What do I do with the dog?
Hey! My prefered shelter combination is a GG SpinnTwinn tarp and a companion MLD Superlight bivy. When I take my dog, a 40 pound trail friend, I switch to my Black Diamond Hilight for no good r...

In Philosophy & Technique » What do I do with the dog?
September 08, 3:05pm

Lighting Alcohol Stoves
I use a Caldera Cone (love it, despite the overall weight). It may be overkill for the wallet, the environment, etc. but I use waterproof "flare" matches to light my stove.

In Editor's Roundtable » White Box Stove REVIEW
July 21, 1:25pm

Re: New Tarp User. Need advice
Hi Brad, I'm a Virginia/West Virginia backpacker and have been using my tarp and MLD Superlight bivy with full net hood as my bug bivy/element protection all season now, including some bruta...

In GEAR » New Tarp User. Need advice
July 07, 11:40am

Windshirts - What am I missing
I like the flexibility in having both a rain shell (I use REI's 10 oz. eVent running jacket and a GTX brimmed hat) and the wind shirt in my home closet so I can pull the right things out for th...

In GEAR » Windshirts - What am I missing?
July 01, 11:31am

Windshirts
Weight! Mine weighs 2 oz. Otherwise, yes a rain shell does the same job, or even better.

In GEAR » Windshirts - What am I missing?
July 01, 11:16am

REI eVent Running Jacket
I use REI's eVent running jacket as my backpacking shell and it should work even better for biking.

In GEAR » How to choose between HyVent 3L and DT 2.5L?
June 29, 10:49am

Silk
I'll let you guys know. I'll be doing a 40 mile trek on July 4th in Virginia and will use only the silk liner with my Superlight bivy (and tarp) for a couple sultry nights in a row. I'...

In GEAR » Hot Summer Sleep System
June 22, 1:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm