Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me UL Backpacker
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 371 - 380 of 395 | Page: 1 ...21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Forum » Thread

Exped Downmat 7 or 9?
I'd love to buy an Exped Downmat for winter camping this year. I sleep cold. Do I go with the 7 (32 oz. R Value 5.9) or the 9 (36 oz. R Value 8). How valuable in weight-saving terms is 4 oz....

In GEAR » Exped Downmat 7 or 9?
November 10, 5:01pm

15% off at Bent Gate (includes WM)"
Fantastic! I just grabbed a pair of UL Down Inner Pants for $104 total, with free shipping to boot. Great post on the coupon.

In Gear Deals » 15% off at Bent Gate (includes WM)
October 19, 9:11am

What would be your ideal shelter for weathering one foot of east coast (sub-alpine) snow?
Greetings! As I head into my third winter of backpacking, I'm curious what the perfect shelter would be for the worst winter conditions I'm likely to face in VA, WV, PA. This would like...

In GEAR » What would be your ideal shelter for weathering one foot of east coast (sub-alpine) snow?
October 08, 11:57am

Reliable enough!
I've used versions of the SteriPEN for years without any malfunction. You need to sleep with it/stick it in your coat pocket during colder periods, but other than that I love the ease and spee...

In Editor's Roundtable » SteriPEN Opti Review
October 06, 10:52am

"neo + closed cell or insulated mat?"
Oh boy. I used just my Neoair all last winter (without any other accompanying pad), including down to 0, and didn't realize how much I was pushing it. I definitely had some nights that were m...

In GEAR » neo + closed cell or insulated mat?
September 28, 2:15pm

Re: What do I do with the dog?"
Thanks for the advice! I'll try taking him out and training with the tarp. He's well-behaved and not prone to running in general, so I think the worst that is likely to occur is a skittis...

In Philosophy & Technique » What do I do with the dog?
September 09, 7:08am

What do I do with the dog?
Hey! My prefered shelter combination is a GG SpinnTwinn tarp and a companion MLD Superlight bivy. When I take my dog, a 40 pound trail friend, I switch to my Black Diamond Hilight for no good r...

In Philosophy & Technique » What do I do with the dog?
September 08, 3:05pm

Lighting Alcohol Stoves
I use a Caldera Cone (love it, despite the overall weight). It may be overkill for the wallet, the environment, etc. but I use waterproof "flare" matches to light my stove.

In Editor's Roundtable » White Box Stove REVIEW
July 21, 1:25pm

Re: New Tarp User. Need advice
Hi Brad, I'm a Virginia/West Virginia backpacker and have been using my tarp and MLD Superlight bivy with full net hood as my bug bivy/element protection all season now, including some bruta...

In GEAR » New Tarp User. Need advice
July 07, 11:40am

Windshirts - What am I missing
I like the flexibility in having both a rain shell (I use REI's 10 oz. eVent running jacket and a GTX brimmed hat) and the wind shirt in my home closet so I can pull the right things out for th...

In GEAR » Windshirts - What am I missing?
July 01, 11:31am

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm