BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 371 - 380 of 471 | Page: 1 ...29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Forum » Thread

Great deal
I picked up a couple vests and got free shipping to boot!

In Gear Deals » Eddie Bauer 1st Ascent Jackets
July 06, 10:35am

Evolution or Revolution to UL
My evolution is more in line with Nick's. I started out backpacking in 1969 with a minimal kit and evolved quickly, as funds allowed, to some seriously heavy gear and a huge Jansport D5 extern...

In GEAR » Evolution of UL Hiker
July 02, 9:51am

Stretching Boots
I have had some success with the expandable shoe trees and a blow dryer to heat up the material. Works much better for width than length.

In GEAR » freezing boots
July 01, 9:18am

New LX3?
I knew it would happen as soon as I picked up a LX3/D4. I think my wife may get a slightly used D4 soon!

In Photography » Interesting rumors on a new 43 camera
July 01, 9:15am

Lightest "Heavy" items
I don't really think that I have any heavy items I carry on my back as I have selected the lightest weight option that fits my needs. Having said that, my heaviest two items are a Kookabay DAM...

In GEAR » Heavy gear that works
June 30, 8:25am

Over and Under Published Weight
I have found both items under and over published weight. My recent purchases have been at the listed weight or slightly under. My experience has been that with items from websites touting thei...

In GEAR » Published vs Actual Gear Weights?
June 29, 10:27am

Montbell Wind Jacket
I just picked up one of these on E-bay for $33 shipped. My hiker partner has one an loves it. At 2.5oz for the jacket (no hood), and a little over 3oz for the hooded Wind Parka, they certainly fi...

In GEAR » Best Wind Shirt?
June 25, 8:33am

Root and Zumbro
It has been a while - mid 1970's - but when I lived in Rochester we spent a great deal of time on both rivers canoeing and camping along the way. I am sure that there there may be more develop...

In Chaff » Canoing in SE MN
June 25, 8:29am

+1 SMD 2010 Swift
I was truly amazed at how comfortable this pack is. Since I am just a little over an hour from ULA I have tried on many of their packs but I must admit that I haven't carried one on the trail ...

In GEAR » Most comfortable UL Pack?
June 25, 8:22am

UL Framed (Stays)
+1 on the SMD Starlight. It has been my go to pack for several years but I just made the switch to a frame/stayless pack and love it. With the weight you are looking to carry I would want a li...

In GEAR » Time for an UL Pack?
June 23, 1:26pm

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am