Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 371 - 380 of 456 | Page: 1 ...27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Forum » Thread

Pics?
Any pictures of the set-up?

In Gear Deals » Hyperlite Mountain Gear Inc.
August 31, 12:35pm

Get a Pack with a Real Hipbelt - IMO
Terrence, I know you've read over and over about all these UL packs and how light they are. In my opinion I find them uncomfortable, because not enough weight is distributed to the hipbelt,...

In GEAR » Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
August 31, 8:55am

Agree
I agree with Benjamin... I've also been through SEA several times and many other areas with similair climate. I find the 100% synthetic shirts to be useless in hot climates due to, as Benjami...

In GEAR » SE Asia: clothing to take?
August 30, 12:00pm

I do!
Dale has always been the radio man. I picked up the GP-4L and I find it to work great. I hike alone most of the time and it's nice to find a news channel to listen to before going to bed.

In GEAR » Ultralight Radios
August 26, 10:03am

Fly Creek 1 in Gear Swap
I just noticed someone in Gear Swap selling a Fly Creek 1 for $250 that they picked up at REI garage sale. That typically means the basement. All gear is half price in the basement. The seller h...

In Gear Deals » Fly Creek 2 - Seattle - REI Bargain Basement
August 26, 9:04am

Thanks Chris
I started following this new forum to see what hammocking is all about. Chris mentioned Grand Trunks for $20, and I bought 1 off Amazon. I need to see if I can sleep in one of these. I'm not...

In Hammocks » Hammocks... For Log Sleepers Only?
August 25, 4:07pm

Wow......
What a great write up and what a wonderful place to ask for her hand in marriage. How can you not love a women that'll put up with so many days on the trail. Awesome of BPL to give you a ye...

In Post-Trip Reports » Glacier NP Trip + Engagement!!!!
August 25, 2:30pm

Fly Creek 2 - Seattle - REI Bargain Basement
I just walked back from REI for lunch and saw a returned Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 for $165 in the bargain basement. The return slip said, 'Used several times, too noisy'

In Gear Deals » Fly Creek 2 - Seattle - REI Bargain Basement
August 25, 2:19pm

Adding the Boiled Water
Do you simply pour the boiled water in the zip-lock bags? Will they melt? Sarah - thanks for your morning protein shake menu. I used it at Gold Myer hot springs Saturday morning and it hits th...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Re-packaging MH in Foodsaver bags
August 23, 3:37pm

Sleeping Bags not on sale
I walked over to FF during my lunch time. They're not putting theit bags on sale............

In Gear Deals » Feathered Friends - Labor Day Sale
August 23, 3:23pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am