Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3681 - 3690 of 5662 | Page: 1 ...360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ...567

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: 3rd Annual BPL San Jacinto Loop: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Craig, Speaking of sand, this is what Indian Canyon Drive near I-10 looked like yesterday morning. Road crews removed SEVERAL THOUSAND CUBIC YARDS of sand. Here is a picture from the local news ...

In Post-Trip Reports » 3rd Annual BPL San Jacinto Loop: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
June 02, 12:43am

Re: Thanks Again Nick
Chad, Nice pictures. You captured the variety of this hike. Lower desert, alpine forests, clouds, fog, snow, and hikers. Really enjoyed your company. Hopefully Stephan will post some pictu...

In Post-Trip Reports » 3rd Annual BPL San Jacinto Loop: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
June 02, 12:11am

Re: Re: 3rd Annual BPL San Jacinto Loop: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
I think it was your new, much discussed, "heavy" pack that slowed you down. ------------ Must be it :) Still had a base weight under 7lbs, and it carried all the water well. Lets...

June 02, 12:08am

Re: Weather
Jeff, I was pretty sure that was going to happen. But for us, the weather at Fobes Saddle and Live Oak is a huge difference in bad weather. We made the right decision based on the circumstances.

June 01, 11:48pm

Re: temp
If I am moving and temps are in the 30's or low 40's the R1 is the best for me. Moving in higher temps, the BPL Merino. This assumes no wind. If I stop in the 30's or 40's then I ne...

In GEAR » Warm Hoodie
May 31, 11:57pm

Re: Flexible Solar Panel Project
Devil's advocate question... Say you are hiking south most of the day, with a wide brim hat, like I did all day Saturday. How are you going to keep the panel oriented to the sun. Also, the w...

In Make Your Own Gear » Flexible Solar Panel Project
May 31, 11:50pm

Butler Canyon/Coyote Canyon Loop: Anza Borrego Feb 2009
In a recent thread, a couple people asked about the location of some pictures I took. My son and I got hammered here in Dec 2008, and could not easily navigate the whole trip we had planned due to ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Butler Canyon/Coyote Canyon Loop: Anza Borrego Feb 2009
May 31, 9:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Footwear for Cactus Country?
Not to hijack the thread. I will post a trip report.

In GEAR » Footwear for Cactus Country?
May 31, 9:15pm

3rd Annual BPL San Jacinto Loop: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Sounds like lots of people hit some strange Memorial Day weather. We were no exception. We met at the trail head at 5:30 AM. Team consisted of Chad, Stephan, Josh, and me. I really did not know ...

May 31, 8:36pm

Re: Breathable foam for pack straps
Is a breathable shoulder strap that important? Sweat under straps has never been an issue for me. For a really light pack, I like what GG does on their Murmur pack. The edge of each strap is velcro...

In Make Your Own Gear » Breathable foam for pack straps
May 31, 2:38am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am