BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3681 - 3690 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: USPS will remain in business
The government still owns the USPS. Not really self-funded, I cannot remember any time they did not lose money since the reorganization. Seems like military and federal police will have to work,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Government shutdown - effects on thru-hikers?
April 07, 12:24pm

Re: Re: Government shutdown - effects on thru-hikers?
"By the way, I made 25K last year and paid more federal income taxes than General Electric. Something's not right with this picture." You have that right!! One other thing we n...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Government shutdown - effects on thru-hikers?
April 07, 11:52am

Re: Re: Vibram Fivefingers Survey
Chris, You point out something very important here. Running is much different that hiking. Runners who hike, approach things a little differently. Also people like Craig and Eugene who run a lot...

In GEAR » Vibram Fivefingers Survey
April 07, 11:14am

Re: Montbell Ex Light Down Vest: Owners Is it Really Warm?
Tony, It comes down to the right gear for the job you want it to do. I have the jacket, which weighs 6.10 oz. My Patagonia down sweater is much warmer at 11.70 oz; but not twice as warm... and i...

In GEAR » Montbell Ex Light Down Vest:: Owners Is it Really Warm?
April 07, 10:48am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wisconsin voters speak up in record numbers
Jerry, I have never accused you of being partisan. Actually I can't figure out where you stand, other than you hate Republicans. I don't like them either. You even said that "True c...

In Chaff » The Wisconsin petri dish
April 07, 10:40am

Re: Re: Re: mostly a knee jerk response
"100k miles in 15 years? That's below average for a lot of people. Most are putting 10k a year. Hell, when I had my car, i was doing 13k a year." Probably closer to 15K per year av...

In Chaff » What did you pay for gasoline today?
April 07, 10:24am

Re: Re: Re: how?
Jerry, That is the point... do you "want to get" base weight down more? I think there is a point of diminishing returns. Trying to get to an "arbitrary" point is not necessar...

In GEAR » Question for you 5# - 6# base weight guys
April 07, 10:14am

Re: Sleeping bag for tarp
Spinntwinn is pretty big, so a bivy may not be needed. I don't use a bivy with it, but I do use one with a poncho tarp, more for water protection. You can pitch it low to the ground. I would sp...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleeping bag for tarp
April 07, 3:09am

Re: Government shutdown - effects on thru-hikers?
I kind of doubt it, as long as you already have your permits. Campgrounds and other services maybe shut down for a short time. As long as you are not relying on government run support services, I w...

April 07, 3:06am

Re: how?
opps-double post.

In GEAR » Question for you 5# - 6# base weight guys
April 07, 2:59am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am