BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3681 - 3690 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: ben
Josh, I understand your point. But to me, it is none of my business what my neighbor does or does not do; should he or she even be willing to donate money to a worthy cause. It is entirely optio...

In Gear Deals » Black Diamond Helping Japan
March 25, 7:01pm

Re: Mountain House
MH is a staple for me, and I actually like the stuff. Maybe this would be a good time to experiment with other options.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Mountain House
March 25, 6:49pm

Re: my thoughts
I went with Enlightened also. Tim is great to work with. 12 oz quilt with 2" of fill. Mine is smaller in girth compared my Nunatek, but has more fill and weighs 3oz less with a 12 degree F hig...

In GEAR » 3 season quilt choice
March 25, 2:32pm

Re: New hot-weather shirt: Kuhl Kosmo Hoodie
Hot weather, I prefer a Rail Rider or even a mesh type T-shirt (my dark complexion makes it easier for me to deal with sun). Much prefer a hat, flip up collar or bandana to help protect the neck. P...

In GEAR » New hot-weather shirt: Kuhl Kosmo Hoodie
March 25, 12:44pm

Re: Very interesting
Here's the deal for me. I am not a scientist, but can do a little research and make/confirm calculations. Just need to determine which theory or scientific testing protocol makes logical sense ...

In GEAR » Cuben - The 422 mm hydrostatic head dirty little secret
March 25, 12:35pm

Re: Helping people in Japan who are in need
Many individuals in many countries are providing private help. Individuals are determing that it is important to them to help. I like this most of all.

In Gear Deals » Black Diamond Helping Japan
March 25, 12:29pm

Re: "insulated" water container
Not ultralight, but on cold trips I take one traditional Nalgene Bottle and an OR insulator OR insulator (3.6 oz) Nalgene fits snug in OR insulator, but easy to remove bottle (ad...

In GEAR » Winter Backpacking: UL insulated water bottles
March 25, 12:23pm

Re: Where's the best spot to carry water
"Wherever it works best for you!" Normally I only drink once an hour (or longer on most trips), so I like to stop for a couple minutes and drink my water. I never understood the need t...

In GEAR » Where's the best spot to carry water?
March 24, 10:55pm

Wind?
Does wind increase the speed of a rain drop or slow it? Does wind change the shape of a rain drop? Changing the shape might actually slow a rain drop. Doesn't wind actually place resistence...

In GEAR » Cuben - The 422 mm hydrostatic head dirty little secret
March 24, 10:30pm

Re: @ Nick
Hey, I can dream, can't I? Absolutely! Can you imagine going into REI and getting a MLD, SM, TT shelter; or a Nanatek or EE quilt, right of the shelf with all the diferrent options availa...

In GEAR » Friendly expertise on camping. Please READ!!
March 24, 4:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am