Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 3681 - 3690 of 5800 | Page: 1 ...360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: Heel pain
Is the pain in only one foot? If so, you may have injured the plantar. Hopfully rest will allow it to recover. If both, then you are probably carrying too much weight on your body or hiking too muc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Heel pain
July 31, 7:43pm

Re: Re: What are your other hobbies?
Nathan, That is really cool. I enjoy going to some of the smaller county fairs in California and going through the antique tractor displays.

In Chaff » What are your other hobbies?
July 31, 7:35pm

Hobbies
I have too many, which is going to force me to retire soon :) Main one is camping with my wife in our tent trailer, since she will not consider BPing. I also collect stamps. I build m...

In Chaff » What are your other hobbies?
July 31, 7:28pm

Re: Stargazing
Any reasonable scope, bino, or mono is going to be the heaviest piece of equipment in your pack. I rarely carry anything, because I have a decent night sky at home and am only 50 miles from Joshua ...

In GEAR » Stargazing
July 31, 5:56pm

Re: Why even use a bivy?
No you are not missing anything. It is a matter of assembling the kit that works best for you. If using a poncho/tarp, which is also your rain gear, then you need a bivy. A larger tarp and you c...

In GEAR » Why even use a bivy?
July 31, 4:34pm

Re: Re: Los Angeles packrafters?
Craig, That was funny. For practice you can try Perris or Elsinore if they are close by. Diamond is out because inflatables have to be longer than 10 feet with a solid floor. Salton Sea might...

In Packrafting » Los Angeles packrafters?
July 27, 9:54am

Re: Membership, BPL, Forums, My Oh My
Ryan, Nice post. But who is Lady Gaga? Does she post here? What is her base weight?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why are you not a Member of BPL?
July 26, 11:05pm

Re: words of wisdom
If you think you can or you think you can't, you are right. - Henry Ford

In Chaff » words of wisdom
July 26, 11:02pm

Re: Re: SUL Shell jacket
Cold, wind driven rain can cause hypothermia if you are not careful and do not have rain gear. I try to hike loops (hate to cover real estate twice), and pace is important. I leave an itinerary ...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL Shell jacket
July 25, 1:55am

Re: Any pearls on how to use a bivy/tarp setup?
Get an 8 X 10 and you do not need a bivy. But you need rain gear. Get a 5 X 8 poncho/tarp and you need a bivy. But you do not need rain gear. If your clothes are that wet, take them off befor...

In Philosophy & Technique » Any pearls on how to use a bivy/tarp setup?
July 25, 1:41am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am