BPL Community Profile

John S. (jshann) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale John S. hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Originally from Louisiana, I enjoyed camping in my Boy Scouting days and eventually became an Eagle Scout. Many years later (2002), I discovered backpacking after going on an REI multisport trip to Alaska. My first backpack was to Grand Canyon, and I was hooked!
CityDallas
StateTexas
CountryU.S.A.
My Website URLhttp://tinyurl.com/2rr6nx
My PDF Gear ListSample Gearlist

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John S.

Showing 3681 - 3690 of 3690 | Page: 1 ...350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369

Forum » Thread

Sleeping with balaclavas
I sleep with either a 100 wt fleece balaclava or an OR PS50 balaclava pulled up over my nose. It works great for me with some nights being in the 20's. In those temps I am also wearing the Nunatak ...

In GEAR » Balaclavas & Face masks in winter sleep system
December 17, 8:39am

A review here
go to www.backpackgeartest.org and read Andy Mytys' review.

In Winter Hiking » Psolar EX Face Mask effective or not!
December 16, 11:06pm

Nokia 5140
Nokia 5140 (at top it said Europe, Middle East, Africa, so not sure it's available here or not) http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,48663,00.html Nokia Xpress-on™ GPS shell (Planned availabilit...

In GEAR » Lightweight Digital Cameras
December 14, 7:51am

Why hooded?
Could ya'll give the reasons why a hooded windshirt is more preferable than non-hooded? Thanks.

In Philosophy & Technique » soft-shell use with a UL wind jacket
December 13, 8:52am

geko 301 runtime
It is interesting that, on your gear guide index, the geko 301 has the lowest battery life at 9 hours, yet Alan is able to get a much longer effective battery life in the way he uses it with his Su...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight GPS / Mapping Software Navigation Systems
December 12, 8:17am

Marmot '04 fabric
Douglas, Backcountryoutlet.com implies that the last fabric type used on the chinook was called NP-550.

In Editor's Roundtable » Wind Shirts
December 01, 10:55pm

Re: How far how fast?
Have you seen golites pict regarding pack weight for distance? http://www.golite.com/assets/images/learn/weight_v_distance.jpg

In Post-Trip Reports » Trips & Trip Reports (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
November 16, 1:55pm

Calorie Count?
Carol, Why is there no estimated calorie count for your listed meals? Or did I miss it? Thanks.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Lightweight Food and Nutrition (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
November 12, 9:41am

Packrafting gear
Roman and Ryan, Do either of you use any sort of padding for the floor of your packrafts? The alpacka site advocates an inflatable sleep pad for making the floor stiffer and more comfy. Ryan lo...

In Gear Lists » User Gear Lists (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
November 11, 1:49pm

Coup's base weight
In this case of no re-supply, I don't see that a 5 pound or so lighter base weight would have done much to improve his speed/efficiency, at least early in the hike, because of his overall heavy pac...

In Gear Lists » User Gear Lists (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
October 13, 2:01pm

All Reader Reviews by John S.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Dawn
I have had this pack for several years and have taken it on multiple backpacks ranging from 2 days to 6 days. My pack weights have been over 15 pounds a few times with no problems. The materials and w...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 12:05pm