BPL Community Profile

John S. (jshann) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale John S. hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Originally from Louisiana, I enjoyed camping in my Boy Scouting days and eventually became an Eagle Scout. Many years later (2002), I discovered backpacking after going on an REI multisport trip to Alaska. My first backpack was to Grand Canyon, and I was hooked!
CityDallas
StateTexas
CountryU.S.A.
My Website URLhttp://tinyurl.com/2rr6nx
My PDF Gear ListSample Gearlist

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John S.

Showing 3641 - 3650 of 3664 | Page: 1 ...348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367

Forum » Thread

Echinococcus infestation
Here are a couple of references: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1046.htm http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic629.htm

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Hydatid Tapes
June 14, 1:08pm

lol
We need a threaded option on here so we can tell who is responding to who's sarcasmic outbursts ; )

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking without kitchen
May 24, 7:54am

Aflatoxin madness
I think the likelihood of physical harm from commercially produced peanuts or peanut butter here in the USA is on orders of magnitude less than your chances of tripping over a dung beetle and crack...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking without kitchen
May 23, 7:19pm

I wouldn't treat any article of clothing
that I was depending on being water repellant/water proof.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pertex and Permethrin
February 20, 12:19pm

Cooking in tent
The ID tents are known to be best in four season conditions, exactly the conditions where many definitely are going to be cooking and using candle lanterns inside the tent. Of course that's just my...

In GEAR » ID eVent tents pulled from the market!?
February 17, 6:59pm

To Patrick Baker
Patrick, I do know of at least one person who melted their plastic while using the bakepacker (a no-no) with the coleman ultralight. Now their stove will not compact down like it is supposed to.

In Editor's Roundtable » What kind of stove do YOU use for lightweight backpacking?
February 16, 11:57am

Terminology confusion
As a new person to these sorts of stoves, I find the terminology being used to describe them very confusing. The title calls the coleman extreme stove a liquid fuel stove, and Roger says he uses it...

In GEAR » MSR Simmerlite vs. Coleman Xtreme
February 15, 9:33pm

Reply to Cola
Cola, thanks for responding. Under the "Preparing Maps" section, my interpretation of the second paragraph shows the following numbers for paper size and scale (no borders): 8.5 x 11.0 inch pape...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight GPS / Mapping Software Navigation Systems
February 15, 9:49am

I bought the TA
The materials are good like you say, but at 12 oz and with extra features, there isn't much loft. I'm not sure I'll backpack with it, but like it for around town.

In GEAR » EMS Syn insulated jackets
February 02, 8:43am

Map question
Alan, In your article I read "When printed on letter sized paper an area of 5.5 by 7.25 miles is shown for the 7.5 minute USGS series, while an area of 11.5 by 14.5 miles is shown for the 100...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight GPS / Mapping Software Navigation Systems
January 15, 1:49am

All Reader Reviews by John S.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

GoLite Dawn
I have had this pack for several years and have taken it on multiple backpacks ranging from 2 days to 6 days. My pack weights have been over 15 pounds a few times with no problems. The materials and w...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 12:05pm