BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 361 - 370 of 432 | Page: 1 ...25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Forum » Thread

Whisper
Christopher please see my PM regarding the Whisper G6. Thanks, Scott

In Gear Swap » FS: Stuff
September 23, 2:42pm

Nice Photos/Story
Andrew, That is a great story. I would love to hike this. Maybe 2010 since next summer I'll be hiking the JMT for the first time with my wife and 2 kids. Thanks for the report.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra High Route
September 18, 4:29pm

Manure
"One horse is going to leave more manure all over the ground than 10 boy scouts." Yes, but if you had to step in a scouts manure it wouldn't be the same as stepping in a pile of ho...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Scout Gear List
September 16, 10:37am

The One Comments
I have used The One this summer. A friend of mine also bought one. The usual problems crept up in ours; the rope they used for tie outs came undone. My friend never got his rear tie outs the same a...

In GEAR » GG One - What's wrong?
September 15, 5:37pm

Newbie to Poles
I hiked this year the first time for 2 weeks with poles. Used them for my tent set up. Anyway, what I liked about the poles is they kept my hands from swelling a lot. Just like giving blood. A litt...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking poles and necessity for Ultralighters
September 15, 4:06pm

Guide Book
The Elizabeth Wenk book is great. Too big to take on the trail. For my money the maps to use are Tom Harrison. He has a 13 sheet set that takes you from beginning to end. For my money they are ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 09 JMT thru hike
September 09, 4:13pm

Early Start
I have friends that have had to wade through waist deep NEW snow at the beginning of June. They had to walk out early. Some years it's not a problem. Some years it is. The passes are all at a c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 09 JMT thru hike
September 06, 2:29pm

2 In a Conrail
Joe, I know. However, i have seen 5 scouts in a 3 man tent many times. It's like a bunch of puppy dogs at times. It was my son and his friend in the Contrail. They are both 18 but are trim a...

In Philmont » LIghtweight Philmont Experince
August 27, 11:41pm

GG Thinlight
I use a Torsolite pad and like to use the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad for added insulation. It keeps my heels from getting cold. I find that the pad slips and bunches up defeating the purpose for h...

In GEAR » Sliding pad
August 27, 11:22am

Don't ingest it
I hike a lot with scouts and something weird always happens. Due to poor trail conditions we changed plans hiked about 20 miles one day. At the end of the day we let the kids hang out in the Kern R...

In GEAR » Insect repellent - what do you use?
August 26, 5:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm