BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 361 - 370 of 605 | Page: 1 ...28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ...61

Forum » Thread

Re: Trees
Ahh the memories of growing up in the 60/70s, exploring the woods from dawn to dusk, snake hunting, climbing trees, skate boarding and bicycling with no helmet, 22 mile day hike around the city, cl...

In Chaff » Study: "One third of parents will not let children do ‘risky activities’ like climbing trees"
April 22, 9:38am

Re: Insulated Pants
I would agree that a better insulated quilt makes more sense than insulated pants. The only time you have interest in insulation on your legs is at night when you sleep, so basically your comparin...

In GEAR » Insulated Pants versus Wool Base Layer at Night
April 20, 2:09pm

Re: wide mouth plastic bottle options
Nalgene has collapsable 32oz (approx 1 liter) wide mouth options that weigh 2oz http://www.rei.com/product/670588/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-32-fl-oz

In GEAR » wide mouth plastic bottle options
April 17, 5:59pm

Re: Re: Mid 40's Sleep System
+1 on the 40 degree quilt option with very little clothing. I would only have a light weight base layer and something like a down vest for mornings and evenings in camp.

In GEAR » Mid 40's Sleep System
April 17, 5:50pm

Re: Proper Groundsheet use
Bump

In GEAR » Proper Groundsheet use
April 17, 5:37pm

Proper Groundsheet use
For those of you that use a groundsheet under your Tarp and/or Bivy. Where exactly do you place it? Is it fully under your Bivy with excess coming out on either side? My concern is the thought o...

In GEAR » Proper Groundsheet use
April 17, 10:23am

Add ground Flax
A tablespoon of sprouted ground flax adds 85 calories and is highly nutritious.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Calories in freeze dried, cal bumping ideas
April 15, 1:22pm

Common Sense
As mentioned earlier, I think this is a common sense policy to not have to deal with the security of handling cash, nuisance of depositing it etc.. Having said that, my local diner only accepts ca...

In GEAR » GoLite stores don't take....cash?!?!
April 14, 12:39pm

Typing Email addresses on the Forum
What is the obsession/reason for typing email addresses with spaces? Why this : randalmartin @ hotmail dot com Instead of this: randalmartin@hotmail.com

In Philosophy & Technique » Typing Email addresses on the Forum
April 12, 9:04am

Re: Re: GG SpinnTwinn Wind Deflection
For the rear pole I am using the GG SpinnTwinn pole set which is a 32" height on the rear. I also sent an email to GG support just to get their input. I will post the response on this thread...

In GEAR » GG SpinnTwinn Wind Deflection
April 12, 8:33am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm