BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 361 - 370 of 498 | Page: 1 ...28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ...50

Forum » Thread

OR Sun Runner
I really like the OR sun-runner and use it year round.

In GEAR » best sun hat
March 16, 10:59am

Sold for more than retail
I was able to sell a couple of WM bags on ebay for MORE than retail. I typically don't like to sell outside the U.S. but I have had many requests for items and offers to pay more than retail t...

In Gear Swap » Western Mountaineering Bags
March 14, 8:29am

Bag Conversion
Another option is one that we have been doing for my son's scout troop. It is the Sierra Designs Wicked Light 45. This bag has a little over 9oz of down and is very easily converted to a quil...

In GEAR » Help me chose my 40degree sleep system
March 13, 5:28pm

No worries
I ordered a bunch of stuff last Friday and received no word until today - an email confirming that it will be delivered tomorrow. It hasn't shown yet on my credit card but should today or tomo...

In Gear Deals » Golite Huge Clearance - Up to 70% off, example 2008 Pinnacle $39
March 09, 1:18pm

Weakness
I must admit that it kills me to pass on a good deal. I seem to go through a "binge/ purge" cycle and often fall in love with equipment on paper and then either change my mind or find it...

In GEAR » 2011 Gear Purchase Moratorium?
March 08, 11:38am

Bars
I pretty much just do bars and have them in my pack's hipbelt pocket to eat on the go. I daily have a protein bar (2.5oz 280 cal), a nut bar (1.6oz 240 cal), a Cliff bar (2.5oz 240 cal), and a...

In GEAR » What do you do for Lunch?
March 07, 9:10am

Big order no email
I ordered a bunch of stuff but have yet to receive an email confirming shipment. I did receive a order number so I will just have to wait and see.

In Gear Deals » Golite Huge Clearance - Up to 70% off, example 2008 Pinnacle $39
March 07, 8:28am

Sweet Deals
It would certainly appear that they will be honoring sales during the "glitch."

March 04, 2:34pm

Code
I tried both codes and one worked but don't remember which. The two had are: DSW10 & BSF10 This took another 40% off! Hopefully it will go through as I haven't seen a confirma...

March 04, 9:46am

Kookabay and Swift
I am using a kookabay and carry it in a Swift (2010 model). I don't use the pad for structure. I have a piece of closed cell foam that has been cut to fit the pad space to act as cushioning....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Kooka Bay Pads For Frameless Packs
February 27, 8:46am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am