BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 361 - 370 of 454 | Page: 1 ...27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Forum » Thread

Root and Zumbro
It has been a while - mid 1970's - but when I lived in Rochester we spent a great deal of time on both rivers canoeing and camping along the way. I am sure that there there may be more develop...

In Chaff » Canoing in SE MN
June 25, 8:29am

+1 SMD 2010 Swift
I was truly amazed at how comfortable this pack is. Since I am just a little over an hour from ULA I have tried on many of their packs but I must admit that I haven't carried one on the trail ...

In GEAR » Most comfortable UL Pack?
June 25, 8:22am

UL Framed (Stays)
+1 on the SMD Starlight. It has been my go to pack for several years but I just made the switch to a frame/stayless pack and love it. With the weight you are looking to carry I would want a li...

In GEAR » Time for an UL Pack?
June 23, 1:26pm

New 2010 Quilt
The "New and Improved" model came in at 1 lb 9.5oz in a regular on my scale. My 2009 quilt in regular is 19.1oz for comparison. The 2010 version a little more than 2oz of down, much hea...

In Gear Swap » GoLite Ultra 20 quilt (2009 version)
June 23, 9:55am

Covering Up
Sizing to accomodate layers is what I use. I have a Hyperion Vest thats a MED, a Hyperion Jacket in LRG, and an EPIC wind jacket that is XL so that in extreme cold I can layer up with all of them....

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 2
June 23, 8:58am

Cowboy camp or Tent
+1 on the above. I too gave up since I tend to spend most of my time above or at timberline and wasn't really saving much if any weight. If it's just a couple of nights and I am confident...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarps Above Timberline
June 22, 10:00am

Physical Dimensions of Sawatch
It's a bit hard to measure once the footbox has been sewn up but it is about identical to my Golite Ultra 20 and measures 52" when stretched. I would agree with the 54" shoulder and ...

In GEAR » Debate: Quilt vs. Bag
June 13, 4:43pm

More Quilt Options
Mark, The good news is that there are more quilt options now than ever before. Nunatak, Jacks r Better, Katabatic, Golite, and a number of individuals that on these forums like Tim Marshall, th...

June 13, 7:48am

Other Differences
What prompted me to try out a quilt was the fact that I don't sleep on my back with my arms at my side anymore making the hood of a mummy much less useful to me. With a quilt I have no zipper ...

June 11, 12:29pm

+1 on Highlite plus another quilt
The WM Highlite at 16oz for a reg length is a great choice if a slim cut works. Also you may want to check out Katabatic's Palisade quilt at 17oz for a reg length. I received a Sawatch from t...

In GEAR » 1lb or under 32-40 degree bags?
June 11, 11:05am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am